Epilogue - End of an Era?

Today, Sol-Net is able to finally comment on the rumours that have been circulating since the close of this year's junior Gauntlet competition. Our sources have confirmed – yes, confirmed – that Battlecast Academy, backed by six other training academies across the colonies, has lodged a full formal disciplinary appeal against Black Horizon.

Together with legal representatives from Firequake Academy, Orion, Zulu Forge, Olympus Mons, Galactic Force and Everest Academy, a motion has been lodged to fully disqualify the new colonial institute from its gains in this year's contest, citing technical tampering with exoskeleton specifications, false technical document submission, failure to declare transparent funding, unsporting conduct and deliberate endangering of Gauntlet competitors.

It's an incredible development, and a final unexpected twist in a story that had a whole galaxy on edge. The sudden emergence of Black Horizon as a competitive force was initially viewed as a welcome development, breaking the perceived stranglehold of the largest, most powerful institutions. Now though, with so many high profile academies backing Battlecast's legal challenge, it has thrown the newcomer's achievements into doubt.

If found guilty of the allegations, Black Horizon would forfeit its second place finish in the singles bracket with immediate effect. Not only that, but the fines incurred for the various infractions cited by the legal challenge could be enough to bankrupt the academy, making it the most short-lived institution in the history of the competition.

But while suspicion is rife, there are also many voices in the Gauntlet sphere that have suggested the legal proceedings are just another example of the large academies once again flexing their muscles, with the weight of funding and legal artillery that a small academy like Black Horizon will never hope to match.

Head coaches and administrators from several academies, including Ursa Major, Atlantic and Nebula Academy have claimed this only confirms that Battlecast's dominance extends well beyond the Arena, and that if Black Horizon is stripped of its gains, it will only underline the need for reform, to curb the larger academies' spending, and power both in the Arena and outside it.

Whatever the outcome, we at Sol-Net will be following this case every step of the way. For all the latest updates subscribe to our data feed, and let us know your thoughts. Are Black Horizon cheating gamesmen? Or is this really another sign that the competition needs reform at its highest level?

Stay tuned to Sol-Net, and you'll be the first to know.

This is Jason Bannok, Head Gauntlet Correspondent, signing off.