2.12 | foreign concept

'foreign concept'

as told by everest

As I told you, I had an older brother and an older sister who were both in college and basically only communicated with the rest of the family during holidays or birthdays. They were always too busy with their schoolwork and extra-curriculars and social lives that they never had the time. Of course, I always thought that was an excuse, even when I was younger, but my parents didn't believe me. They were too proud of them to think that way.

That is why I was completely dumbfounded when I walked through my front door, the phone to my ear because I was talking to you, to find both of them sitting at our kitchen table with my parents. I froze in my spot, my eyes wide. "I'll call you back," I said to you through the receiver, lowering the device from my ear before you could mutter another word. I'm sorry if you got hurt by that, by the way.

"Everest!" my sister exclaimed, her dark hair hanging in her face as she ran over to me. "Oh my god, look how big you've gotten! Your hair is so much shorter than the last time I saw you, you cut it right? And you're so tall! Jesus, kid, you're like a foot taller than me!" (This wasn't a lie. She only came up to about my shoulders. But so did you, so it was somewhat familiar.)

She wrapped her arms around my waist, hugging me tightly. My phone was still in my hand, but I met the embrace. It was nice to see her again. My brother came over and clapped me on the back, clearly happy to see me as well.

I was ecstatic to have them back, believe me, but I had an urge to call you or text you because I left so abruptly. I felt guilty. What if you were sitting alone in your bedroom, staring at the screen, wondering where I had gone? What if you thought I was with another girl or something? Maybe I was overthinking it, but I liked you so much.

"Who was on the phone?" my sister asked gleefully, pointing to my hand.

"Uh." I look at the kitchen where my parents are both sitting, distracted by my baby sister who is throwing crackers around her high chair. "Just a friend of mine. I should probably text her-"

"Her?" my older sister asks, her mouth wide. "You have a girlfriend!"

I shake my head, my cheeks flushing. "No, no, no, we aren't a thing."

"I'm sure she is," my brother says, laughing quietly. "Don't worry, we won't tell."

I run a hand over my face. "We're just friends. Is that a foreign concept or something?"

They both laugh at me. I don't join in.

So, while they are somewhat distracted, I compose a message to you on my cell phone. Hi Charlotte. I'm really sorry I left, it just so happens that my brother and sister are home from the university. I was kind of stunned; didn't mean to hang up so suddenly. I'll call you in a little while. My apologies, Everest Logan.