CHAPTER 16

"I think it's time we called the police," Tasha announces authoritatively.

I can see by her expression that she too is scared, horrified by this scenario. It is no longer a playful game. Still, I know better than to get the law involved. That would fuck us all over. And Damon specifically said no. I couldn't deny his wishes.

"That isn't a good idea," I insist. "It's probably an elaborate prank."

"You're getting calls of people screaming, that's not a joke Karma."

"It was one call," I clarify.

"I checked your voicemail, it was more than one."

I'm annoyed she has invaded my privacy but this isn't the time to admonish her for that. I know how authoritative Tasha could be. When she had a plan about something, she'd execute it without qualm or confirmation. She didn't need my permission to go about what she saw as her business. I'd compare her to my mum but even my mum wasn't that controlling... unless it came to money of course.

No, Tasha behaved like those overprotective mums who sought to control every aspect of their daughter's lives for fear of their safety. She didn't think I could handle this on my own.

"You don't trust me."

"I don't trust the people you hang around." She huffs and looks at Reece. "Like that George guy... and his crazy cronies."

I know she's referring to Otis and his gang of friends and shake my head. She really did think she was better than these people, like she had some reign of superiority over them. I look over to Reece but he has suddenly found interest in the square tiling of their laminate floor – the granite colouring and parallel lines. I know he is probably in agreement with his girlfriend.

It dawns on me that the people I have been hanging around with for almost half of my life have a superiority complex. They thought they were supreme because what? They paid £20k a year to attend Ravensbourne instead of the more local, public secondary schools that circled their homes. They cruised to and from church in their flashy 2016 Renault Laguna which Tasha herself considered a 'hand-me-down.' They had their own home and didn't have to share or even interact with housemates they didn't like or know. It made me sick that these were the friends I'd grown to know and love. And I was probably considered to be like them, especially with the amount of time I spent with them not only in private but in public. We probably looked like three peas in a pod – a damned tricycle. Me, the centre wheel, and they, the two parallel wheels, all in need of each other to remain stable. I suddenly don't wish to be a part of this triparty union.

"I think I'm going to leave."

"Don't be silly, morning service starts soon, we need to get going," Reece protests but I turn to give him a scathing look. He made me sick to be around, they both did. I didn't need all of this bad energy.

"I'm not going to church with you today."

I'm reminded that Prudence will most likely be at this service and I am not keen to bump into her. Especially with the way I deserted her earlier. It wasn't a good look to show up today, maybe next week. Neither protest as I edge on my shoes and escape onto the front porch and out through the gate before stalking down the street away from the house.

*

I end up at Frieda's house. Her house was closer to Couple Central than it was to the university so it didn't take long to get to hers from Tasha's. Apparently my voice sounded croaky when I called because she had a handkerchief and mulled wine in her grasp when she opened the door. I followed her into the eccentric three-bedroom home she shared with two very dank weed-smokers.