CHAPTER 43

Disoriented, my eyes peel open and I try my utmost to see through the haze. My vision is blurry no matter how much I blink but I hear slight muttering as my hearing grows keener. It feels like I am under the covers so everything is muffled but I know there is at least one person in the room with me.

A hand snakes to my neck and I feel myself being propped up from my position. I am horizontal so I know I am in a bed and judging by the stiffness, I figure I am in a hospital.

My breathing grows easier and I feel tears flood my eyes. The same hand from before dabs my cheeks and I hear tutting.

I recognise the touch as Reece's.

"She's awake," his gruff voice sounds.

The crying doesn't cease until I am weak and being given water. I want to ask what happened but I can't gather the voice in my throat.

"Give her this."

It's my mum's voice and I try not to panic. 

My previous vacancy shifts to attention and I feel the rim of a plastic cup being pushed to my lips. After sipping and lubricating my throat, I cough a few times before gathering the strength to cough and wipe my eyes with the tips of my fingers so I can see.

Reece is standing at my bedside and my mother sits in a far corner forebodingly.

"What's going on?" I manage croak.

The two look at me forlornly and I am scared that my worst fears are being realised.

"You're in the hospital," Reece tells me.

No shit Sherlock.

The weight that was initially on my chest begins to lift as I readjust my position. I can tell by the vague expression my mother is wearing that she is none the wiser as to why I am here. She was most likely just called either by Reece or as an emergency contact.

I try to read Reece's expression but I can't seem to decipher what he is truly saying.

"Am I okay?"

Though I don't feel any certain pain, I figure I can't have been put here without a valid reason.

"You're okay," he brushes the hair from my forehead. "You just went into shock."

With my eyes I try to communicate that he stop touching me but both he and my mother don't seem phased by the interaction.

"Mr Beaufort, how about you leave my daughter and me alone for a moment?"

Reece turns to my mother in obedience and rubs my hand.

"I'll go and get you a snack from the vending machine."

He retreats from the room and is replaced by my mother standing stoically at my bedside, not touching me but restless and itching to fuss. I am half-expecting a lecture or a barrage of questions but the worry and concern for my welfare has silenced her.

"Karma Olson," she whispers to herself. "My daughter."

I don't say anything for a few moments. "Mum."

"Quite a character Mr Beaufort is."

I watch her stare me down for many seconds. "He's a special friend."

Reece returns and hands me a small packet of popcorn and a bar of milk chocolate.

My mother continues as though we are still alone.

"Special friends don't go to the lengths this dear fellow has gone for you."

Reece, interested but embarrassed by the conversation, gives me my treats and moves a few inches back behind my mother.