CHAPTER 33

"Nobody is fucking dying," I announce to the two males in front of me. I am on my feet, blazing with infuriation at their calm, collected demeanours. How could they act so normal when we were talking about the most unknown of unknowns? "I'm not killing anyone."

Otis chances a look at Reece who has taken this opportunity to study the floor before turning to me.

"We'll make it look like be an accident, you won't be incriminated."

"Didn't you hear me?" I yell at the top of my lungs now. "I said nobody is fucking dying."

"You won't have to go to prison," Otis continues. "Lover boy has connections right? Son of a bigshot partner ain't you? I'm sure you can get your girl a lawyer, free of charge."

Disgusted at Otis' line of questioning, Reece grunts and shakes his head more to himself than to Otis. He is probably wondering how he got himself in this situation, why he didn't trust his initial instinct to not let me get involved with any of this. Suddenly his legs starts to tremble and he is full-on shaking.

"Reece?"

He rolls his eyes at the sound of my voice and I realise I am the object of his irritation.

"I told you," he seethes.

I bow my head like a petulant child and turn to Otis who watches our exchange like it is entertainment.

"I'm not killing George."

"Well he has to die somehow," Otis shrugs.

"But why?" I yelp. "What aren't you telling me?"

Reece shakes his head, horrified that I am even feeding into this conversation at all but I know he too wants the answer.

"Payback."

"Oh come on, don't be ridiculous," I blurt with arms raised. "If George's dad is as bad as you claim then if he's convicted, he'll be locked up for good. You study Law Reece, you know the ins and outs of this, tell Otis that nobody has to die."

No response.

"George's dad is high-ranking police officer," Reece clarifies. "They aren't subjects to courts of law like you and I."

"They're still public servants."

"Irrelevant," Otis intervenes. "If we're going to get justice, it has to be on our own terms."

I can see he is getting fired up at the thought of taking matters into his own hands. For him, this was more than getting comeuppance for Damon's dad – this was symbolic retribution. Taking power back from the man and going toe to toe like Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko.

"Will it be a quick death?"

"Reece!" I yell in disgust at his change of heart and mind.

"Seems like Mr Beaufort might be on board," Otis smirks.

"You're not actually letting your dislike for George play a role here, are you?"

He flinches but there is little change in his expression.

"It's up to you now," Otis weasels.

"I'm not hurting anyone let alone killing them," I repeat this newfound mantra.

"You won't have to touch him," Otis smirks. "Damon and I have got a plan so perfect that you might not even need lover boy's connections."

Bile rises up my throat when I see him shuffling through the papers in front of him and the realisation hits me that this is all real.