Chapter Nine: Zombie Epoch Fanatic

The next morning, my pillow was still wet with tears. My eyes opened on a strange room. I closed them tight and wished that when I opened them again, I'd be home.

But the new room was still there, all sparse and clean, like a hotel room.

I flung off my blankets and dragged myself to the bathroom. No one else was up yet, so I had it all to myself. I stood in the shower for a long time, letting the warm water pour over me, hoping my sadness would swirl down the drain with the crusty salt from my dried tears. I toweled off. Sometimes, the scales caught on the towel if I rubbed them the wrong way. I shuddered at each prickling sensation.

I stared down at the white porcelain, avoiding the mirror, as I brushed my teeth and combed my hair. I had no idea what my hair looked like. It didn't really matter; it framed my hideous reptile face. There was no hairstyle that could make me look anything but grotesque.

After I dressed, I sat on my bed waiting, waiting for signs of life in the dormitory. I watched the clock. Sunlight pierced the blinds, growing brighter with each passing minute. Finally, doors closed, footsteps scuffed in the hall and voices carried.

What would today bring? Probably more new Typhon faces with names I wouldn't be able to remember.

A knock sounded from my door. I shuffled to the door, opened it a crack and peeked through the slit. Parminder stood in the hall, her hair hanging in sleek, wet strands. The scent of soap drifted in. "Oh, you're up," she said. "I just came by to see if you wanted to go get some breakfast."

"Um." Did I? My stomach felt hollow, empty but not hungry. Maybe I'd feel better if I ate. "Yeah, sure."

I followed her to the dining hall. I felt like a lost kitten, always on her heels. I mirrored her as she picked up a tray and slid it along a long counter full of muffins, eggs, cereal and fruit. I chose a bowl of cereal and a banana; it was easy on the stomach. I sat next to her at a round table with a couple of other students.

"Leah, this is Courtney, Roger and Carter. They're also in our family group."

I tried to smile, but it fizzled, so I turned my attention to my cereal.

"Where are you from Leah?" Carter asked.

I looked up from the square bits soaking in milk. "Winnipeg."

"A prairie girl. I'm from Toronto."

They went around the table and all said their cities. Parminder was from Langley and Courtney was from Saskatoon. Roger didn't answer, he just stuffed a forkful of eggs in his mouth.

Carter smirked. "Hey, Roger, aren't you going to tell her where you're from."

Roger blushed and swallowed his eggs. "You can tell her."

Carter laughed. "It sounds so much better coming out of your mouth."

The whole table silently watched Roger and waiting. What could possibly be so intriguing about the city he came from? It's not like he was from the moon. Though, we all kind of looked like we were from another planet.

Roger rolled his eyes. "You guys are so immature." He looked at me. "I'm from Dildo, Newfoundland."

Carter burst out laughing.

I listened to their pleasant chatter about school and about conversations Roger had with other students via the typronet. I glanced around the dining hall at the other tables full of students. I watched them. I had been around sickness for so long, I'd forgotten how healthy people acted. I'd forgotten what laughter sounded like . . . and sarcasm. It was what life was a long time ago before the magnetic field gave out.