Chapter Sixteen: The Set Up

I walked into the building that held Dr. Rail's office. I took the stairs to the fifth floor so it would take longer to get there. My feet felt heavier with each step. How would I explain sneaking out? I couldn't say I just got lost. I knew the tunnel was a place I shouldn't have been. Technically though, no one ever said, "Don't go poking around in tunnels."

I strode into the waiting room.

Her assistant peered around her computer screen. "Leah Alexander?"

"The one and only." I plopped down in an upholstered chair with oversized arms.

She tapped on her keyboard. "You can go right in, dear."

I sighed and pushed out of the chair. My hand on the doorknob to Dr. Rail's office, I hesitated. I could do this. Just act casual. I twisted the knob and opened the door. Dr. Rail smiled. "Please. Come in and closed the door behind you."

I sat in the chair across the desk from her and gripped the wooden arms. Dr. Rail rested her folded hands on the desk. "Leah, so good to see you again."

I stared at her. She probably expected me to return the pleasantry, but I was in no way happy to see her.

I raised my eyebrows. "You wanted to talk to me?"

"Yes. Two of your teachers have contacted me regarding your performance. They say you're withdrawn, distracted. So, I thought we should have a little chat. How has your transition been going?"

I gripped the chair's arms tighter. "Fine."

"Do you feel like you're fitting in?"

No. "Yeah, sure."

"Have you made friends?"

"Oh Yeah. Lots. The people in my family group are great." Whatever she wanted to hear. Whatever got me out of her scaly presence fastest.

She stroked her chin. "An important part of this transition is forming meaningful relationships. While they can't replace those you've lost, over time they can provide the emotion support you need to move forward. Do you feel you've formed meaningful connections?"

I shifted in my chair. "Yep."

She tilted her head. "You've become good friends with Dean Green, haven't you?"

I narrowed my eyes. The question seemed loaded. "Yes, we're friends."

She pressed her lips together into a tight smile. "You might find that a relationship is an excellent distraction from your grief and a good emotion outlet."

I stiffened. Didn't I just tell her I'd made some meaningful connections? I shook my head. "Okay. Sounds good."

"Leah, you look confused."

"I guess, a little. I just told you I've made some meaningful connections, and now you're telling me I need a relationship."

"Let me clarify. I'm sure you remember the series of tests we gave you when you were first accepted to the program. IQ tests, personality tests"

"I remember."

She stood up, walked around to my side of the desk and leaned against it. She folded her arms and looked down at me. "You and Dean came up as highly compatible, which is why we placed the two of you in a family group together."