Chapter Twenty-Six: Nothing I'd Mind Losing

Ahead, the tunnel loomed--dirt walls, dirt floor and about waist height. The scent of cool, moist earth surrounded me. I glanced backward at the heavy door that led to the house and eventually back to The Farm. What and who were on the other side of this tunnel?

I couldn't go back. My future lay before me--no matter how short that future might be.

Jace blew out my candle and crawled into the tunnel. "You coming or what?"

I nodded and crouched. Jace pressed himself against the dirt wall while I crawled in beside him. He swung the door closed and locked it. The door closed and relief washed over me. I breathed in the damp air--it smelled of freedom.

"Let's go," Jace said as he pivoted in the tight space and crawled toward the darkness ahead.

For a few moments, we creeped ahead in silence and then Jace stopped. "I'm sorry, Leah."

"Sorry for what? You're helping me."

"I knew what they were and yet I sent you back into the lion's den. I'm sorry."

"You don't have to be sorry. You figured I was one of them." I hung my head and was glad the flashlight lit the tunnel and not me. "I mean, I look like them."

"I see now that you're a victim too. Just like all the rest of us."

"Thanks. Thanks for . . . ."

"Look, no big deal. Let's just get as far away as we can from those things."

Jace crawled forward and I followed. I smacked my kneecap on a rock and groaned.

"You okay?" Jace asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Up ahead we're going to go downhill for a little while. When we get to the bottom, we'll be able to walk."

We crawled on. The ground began to slope downward, a gentle descent at first, but then it steepened. I dug my fingernails into the dirt to keep from sliding forward into Jace. We descended deeper into the earth, the air getting colder and the tunnel floor wetter the farther we went.

Jace disappeared through an opening; I crawled after him and came out into a taller tunnel.

I stood up on aching knees and stretched my back. Jace's head was only about a centimetre from the ceiling. He held up the flashlight so I could see my hands. They were blackened from the dirt, as were my jeans. Thick, rough cut wooden beams supported the ceiling in regular intervals.

"Another twenty minutes and we'll be there."

I took in his the creases between his eyebrows. "You look worried."

"I am."

"Should I be worried?"

He sighed. "Probably."

"There are about fifteen others living in the tunnels here, beside my dad, my sister, and me. My dad is pretty bitter and my sister . . . well." He rubbed the back of his neck. "She's difficult on the best day. I think she could use some sun."

Maybe it should have scared me, but somehow after dealing with Dr. Rail, a bunch of angry humans seemed like child's play.

"Are you okay? Do you still want to come with me?" he asked.

I shrugged. "Bring it, I guess." What did I have to lose?

Nothing I'd mind losing. Couldn't say I wouldn't be relieved to have this life over.

We walked on, Jace taking long strides and me intermittently jogging to keep up. The tunnel floor was more packed here, as though well traveled. Jace slowed and began glancing back at me every few minutes, his brow becoming more and more furrowed. Was he trying to figure out how he would explain my presence, how he would try to convince everyone that he hadn't shown the enemy their secret hideout. If I were him, I'd be super anxious.

I was super anxious an I wasn't him. Murmurs echoed down the tunnel. We both halted. Jace grabbed my hand. "Stay beside me. Let me handle this."

The voices grew louder.

"You don't have to protect me, Jace. I mean, what happens, happens. I'm not afraid."

But my heart thudded in my ears. This could finally be the end.

Jace gripped my hand so tight that my fingers ached. We came to a fork in the tunnel. The voices were clearly coming from the tunnel to the right.

Jace pulled in a deep breath and squared his shoulders. "Let the games begin."

Acid filled my chest. Jace placed himself in front of me. We walked into a large, cave-like room. A group of people sat at a wooden picnic table. None of them seemed to notice us.

A dark-haired girl with colourful wires in her hand glanced up and her gaze locked on Jace and then darted to me. Her mouth fell open and she froze. And then a man noticed her stare and followed her gaze to us. His eyes widened.

Then Jace spoke. "Everyone needs to stay calm."

The Typhon ProjectOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara