Chapter Nineteen: It

The human swore under his breath, then grabbed my arm and yanked me down. Crouching on the carpet, I asked, "Who are they?"

His lips tightened. "As if you don't know. You told them about me. You led them right to me!" He gripped my arm so tight he cut off the circulation.

I attempted to pry his hand away, but he only held tighter. "I have no idea who they are. I didn't tell anyone about you."

"Liar. I guess it's just a coincidence that soldiers show up here at the same time as you."

"Soldiers?"

"Yeah, Typhon soldiers." He inched his head higher and higher—probably so he could see out the window—then ducked down again.

"Like a Typhon army? No, no, there's no such thing." There were no soldiers at The Farm. I tried again to tug my arm away. "Let go of me."

"Why so you can give away my location?"

"No, because you're hurting me."

He glanced at my arm and loosened his grip just enough that my fingers warmed as blood flow returned.

He ventured another peak out the window and swore again. "They're coming."

"It's ok. If they are Typhon soldiers, they won't hurt us."

"Maybe not you, but they'll kill me."

"They wouldn't. You're a healthy human. You might be the last one. If anything, they'd protect you."

"They're exterminators, Leah. We have to hide."

He stood, back hunched, and towed me upstairs. The front door creaked. He led me into the baby's room, opened the slatted closet doors, and pushed me inside. After joining me in the dark, cramped space, he closed the doors. He arranged tiny dresses in front of us. "You want to convince me that you'll keep me a secret?" he whispered. "Then don't make a sound."

Silence hung around us like the clothes on the rack. My breathing and his breathing were jet engines against it. I listened for any sign of the soldiers, but nothing carried above the sound of my pulse in my ears. Maybe they checked out the house and left. My tense muscles began to relax.

Then, a groaning sound. Like a squeaky stair.

Footsteps in the hall and then inside the baby's room. Boots brushing carpet. A figure threw a dim shadow under the closet door as it moved by. I squinted to peer through the louvered slats of the door, trying to get a glimpse of the soldier. He took a step closer, bringing him into view. The thing had the shape of a man, but even in the moonlight, I could tell its skin wasn't like mine. It was a deep hue and rough like crocodile skin. He held a huge gun with a laser sight.

My mouth fell open and Jace threw his hand over it, wrapped his hand around my waist, and pulled me against the back wall of the closet. The soldier paused in front of the closet.

Did it hear us? My heart battered my ribs. I held my breath.

It turned and stalked out of the baby's room. Footfalls grew silent. Jace's mouth to my ear, he whispered, "Quiet. Don't move." A chill rippled down my spine.

His chest pressed against my arm, I could feel his heart beating.

Downstairs the door creaked again. Were they leaving?

A thud. The door closing?

I glanced sideways at Jace, looking for a cue that we could move. He shook his head in small tight motions.