2.8.

Banners on the South Gate, flowers everywhere, the holiday crowd is roiling like the sea, the guards in their dress uniforms – blue with gold trim – are standing at attention. The courtiers, in their brilliant plumage, flock around the King. The throne glows in the sunlight, white doves spiral overhead.

Alva loved his country, but could still take it all with a grain of salt. The Creedans were ready to pull out all the stops for any event – real holiday, or not, why miss a chance to party? The Essanti chieftain, valiant Kintaro, was coming to the capital. Let the barbarian be dazzled by the wealth and luxury of Trianess.

The King of Creede Daronghi Dancennou honored his ally in the highest by going to the gates to meet him, for true greatness befriends humility, not arrogance. This was also a most diplomatic way out of a touchy situation: the proud nomad would have been insulted if he had to show up at the palace like a common supplicant. Now, they were meeting as equals. The King, in full battle armor, sat on the throne and serenely awaited the chieftain who came, preceded by the babble of the crowd. Alva, standing on guard, kept eagerly peering to the end of the street, from where Kintaro was coming. How would seeing a former lover make Alva feel?

Kintaro, mounted on a colossal black and shaggy steed, rode at the head of the procession. He was followed by about twenty other nomads. One carried a spear decked with beads and ribbons, and topped with a bison skull – a sort of Essanti banner. At the sight of the king, all twenty dismounted at once, as if following an unheard command, and genuflected, still holding the reigns of their horses. Then Kintaro, the only one left standing, stepped forward.

The crowd was clearly impressed. Alva was too; his astonished eyes would not look away from the nomad. There was no trace of the wild barbarian wearing the stinky pelts Alva remembered from the steppe. A leader of the warrior race, a battle-burnished fighter, cloaked in calm dignity, the epitome of masculine beauty, faced the Creedans!

Clean shining hair was carefully braided and trimmed with eagle feathers, strong legs were encased in sleek black leather pants, and a black agate necklace showing an eagle in flight, an emblem of a chieftain, lay against the bare bronzed chest. At his back, he had a long wide sword, hilt showing over the shoulder. When he came still closer, Alva saw that he sported elaborate agate earrings and eyes lined with kohl in the latest fashion. He was drop-dead stunning. He would have to fight off hangers-on with a stick the whole time. Though he'll probably handle it, what with his temperament, and all, thought Alva and hid a smile.

There was much ceremony at the meeting of the King and the barbarian, but nothing to indicate haughtiness or lack of cordiality from either part. Daronghi Dancennou greeted his ally warmly, and Kintaro responded with a pithy speech. It was phrased so elegantly, one would think it came from a Royal Academy graduate, not a nomad warrior. Whatever did he do with the uncouth accents that had so grated on Alva's ears?

Chevalier Ahayrre did not know if Kintaro had noticed him. The Royal Guards had stood close by, but Kintaro seemed to focus entirely on the King. When a white horse was brought for the King, Kintaro had held the stirrup so deftly, Alva nearly gaped. Some barbarian! Then the barbarian leapt into the saddle too, and rode off next to the King.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not a fanart, but a picture by P.L.Nunn which inspired me. That's perfect Kintaro!

 That's perfect Kintaro!