9.4

Alva in scarlet velvet immediately took Tallian's place on the throne and sprawled in it, one leg over the armrest.

"You know I am the real one," he said haughtily, turning up his chin. "You just don't want to believe it. Don't try and persuade me to leave this cosy tower, it will be a total waste of time. Although," he ran his hand over his thigh, "some arguments I am ready to hear out."

Alva in chains quietly wept by the pillar.

Alva in blue uniform came to Khattal who was silently holding up a tray with wine glasses, and drained a full glass at a gulp.

Khattal looked over his shoulder, and there was sympathy in his eyes. Pity. Bitterness. One could stake anything that he wasn't very pleased with his mistress and with what she made him do. Maybe they could make him their ally against Dame Tallian.

A quick interrogation showed that all three Chevaliers possessed quite accurate knowledge about their past. If they had forgotten something, it was no more than the real Alva would have. The one that seemed the liveliest and most genuine, in Guards uniform, guzzled down wine absolutely like Alva did, and behaved absolutely the same capricious way as Alva, refusing to answer some questions. Although it was clear he knew the right answers.

When Ithildin ventured some questions he didn't know the answers to himself, for example, what kind of flowers Alva's mother had been growing in the garden of their family estate, they weren't baffled either.

"Phloxes," Alva in scarlet velvet drawled lazily. "Silly flowers."

"Pansies and marigolds," Alva in chains echoed.

"Idiots." Alva in uniform shrugged. "They were tiger lilies. She always said they reminded her of Father. Aren't you tired? I know a better method."

He pressed the elf to the wall and started to kiss him deeply and passionately. Khattal put the tray on the table with a loud bang and muttered through his clenched teeth, "Damn perverts!"

Kintaro barely managed to suppress the desire to hit him in the mouth. Instead he advanced in the direction of Dame Tallian throne. Alva in scarlet velvet squealed and hid behind the throne.

"Don't come any closer!" he yelled, as if it could have stopped the barbarian.

A few half-hearted feints, and Kintaro caught him, easily holding both his wrists with one hand and the back of his head with another. Alva fought him, breathing heavily, but his resistance was not convincing, especially once he moaned into Kintaro's mouth and went limp, pressing his body into his assailant's.

"Swine! Filthy barbarian! Animal!" he whispered between kisses, and it sounded like a plea to fuck him right here, right now.

Kintaro was the first to break the kiss and let go of his prey, even though it took all of his self-control. The sobering-up thought of his oath also helped. This one could be the real Alva, but he could just as easily not be. Somehow the thought of sleeping with another man in his sweet redhead's body was revolting.

He dragged Alva number three away from Ithildin and grabbed the elf's hand.

"Let's go. We need to talk."

Khattal took them back to their room on the lower floor. He started to make the bed, but Ithildin gently stopped him and lay face down on the bed, driven to complete exhaustion by despair. Kintaro sat by him and stroked his back, his flowing hair. Touching the elf calmed him too, helped gather his scattered thoughts.

"Look, I am really sorry it all went down like this," Khattal said awkwardly, embarrassed by his own sympathy.

Kintaro looked at him angrily. "You know who the real one is."