9.6

The third day brought along a few surprises. For starters, Alva number two tried to hang himself. He wasn't hurt though, being under magical protection. That meant a sharp blade wouldn't nick his skin, and if he would have jumped from the top of the tower, he wouldn't be even bruised.

"How else can I prove that I am the real one?" he wept, hiding his face on Ithildin's shoulder, who kind-heartedly comforted him.

Kintaro watched the scene with visible displeasure, leaning on the wall, thumbs hooked on his belt.

"This one I won't take," he said in a low voice, with barely contained disgust.

"Are you choosing pups from a litter?" Khattal chastised him, also in a low voice. "By the way, only this one wants to go with you."

"I don't give a damn who wants what."

"You should. At least about what your redhead wants. He could want something altogether different than you. Has it ever crossed your mind?"

"If he could come out and send us both to hell, your mistress wouldn't need this entire charade."

"Attaboy, there is some brain inside that thick skull of yours. But what if... What if he wants to test you? To know whether you love the real him or just your idea of him?"

Kintaro opened his mouth to argue and realised he had nothing to say. The Arislani, though, seemed to have said way more he was intending to. He changed the subject immediately, slipping in casually, "I slept with him a couple of times, right after he came here."

"Only a couple of times?" Kintaro echoed in a dull voice and turned away.

"And here I thought once you'd learned about that, you would try and rip me apart."

"Why would I? It was clearly his idea. He had to sleep with someone while we weren't around."

It wasn't easy to discourage Khattal. He went on, "He is really good in bed. I understand why you'd want him back."

Kintaro turned around and looked at Khattal point-blank.

"Do you think I've dragged myself over half the world only because the redhead is good in bed?"

"Why then?"

"Because I love him."

"Have you ever told him that? I bet you haven't. The likes of you always play the silent dangerous macho type."

"The likes of me are called superstitious savages by the civilized people," the nomad said curtly. "But the so-called civilized people have even more superstitions. For example, that you should always declare your love. For us, savages, love is like the sun, the wind, the running water. It just is." Kintaro paused and added, "Come to think of it, Alva had never said he loved me either. But I know it in my heart. That's why I won't give up."

Now it was Khattal who had nothing to say.

The white throne room was empty, but a brief search uncovered two other Chevaliers in a hidden alcove. They were caught in a position which left very little to the imagination.

"So what? I always wanted to sleep with myself!" the one on top said pertly. Since they both were almost naked, it was impossible to say which one it was, the one in scarlet velvet or the one in blue uniform.

Ithildin's eyes were glued to the scene, but the nomad shouldered him aside and drew the curtain shut. He didn't like to be an idle onlooker.

"I wonder how those illusions are cast," the elf said pensively. "Does the spell affect our sight and other senses, and there is really no one behind the curtain? Or is it the spell of disguise?"