Chapter 11: Beginning

Leandro Carbonel looked at his daughters' sullen expressions - Lee Ann was crying silently while Alexa's eyes welled with unshed tears. Lia called him earlier to tell him that she can't be at the airport because she hates goodbyes. And he understood.

"Bakit umiiyak ang bunso ko?" He asked Lee Ann who sobbed louder. His heart broke a little looking at Lee Ann. Lee Ann is timid because, unlike her older sisters, she grew up sheltered and protected. But there were times that his youngest daughter shows a promise of feistiness that's evident in her older sisters' personalities.

"Kelan ang balik nyo, Daddy?" Lee Ann asked and Leandro Carbonel smiled.

"Matagal-tagal pa, baby. Dapat hindi ka umiiyak because Daddy's going away to get better. Tsaka nandyan naman si Ate mo, di ka pababayaan nyan." He said and Lee Ann's tears fell faster.

"Gaano katagal?" She asked. "Pwedeng bang sumama na lang ako?"

"Baby, alam mo namang hindi pwede. Ayaw ni Daddy na iikot ang buhay mo sa sakit nya. Enjoy your time while I'm away. Always listen to your Ate. Bawal mag-boyfriend until you're forty." He tried to joke but Lee Ann threw herself into his embrace and his heart shattered.

"Umuwi ka agad." She cried. "Magpagaling ka agad dun tapos bumalik ka dito, wag mo akong iwan ha, Daddy." She added and Leandro Carbonel failed to stop his tears from flowing. Alexa looked away as her tears raced down her cheeks.

"Oo naman. Itong baby girl ko talaga. Babalik si Daddy kapag magaling na sya. Gagaling si Daddy. Alam mo naman ang doctors abroad, magagaling sila at mapapagaling nila si Daddy." He said and Lee Ann tearfully nodded her head. "Stop crying. Itong baby ko talaga. Para namang hindi tayo magkikita ulit." He said smiling as he wiped Lee Ann's face with the back of his hand. "Bid Daddy goodbye with a smile, baby." He cajoled. "Tahan na, malulungkot si Daddy nyan." He added and Lee Ann swallowed her sobs as she valiantly tried to stop her tears.  

"Babalik ka naman di ba, Daddy?" The teenager asked and Atty. Carbonel just smiled.

"Maghintay ka na sa kotse at kakausapin ko muna si Ate mo. Daddy loves you so much, baby. I want you to always remember that. Daddy will do everything that he can to spend more time with you, ha anak?"

"Opo." Lee Ann replied.

"Now smile before you give Daddy a kiss and a hug." He said and Lee Ann obliged, smiling weepily at him before she kissed his cheeks and forehead and gave him a hug, careful not to hug him too tightly.

"I love you, Daddy. Come back to us. Please." She whispered and Atty. Carbonel blinked away his tears.

"I love you more, Lee Ann." He replied. "Listen to your Ate and trust her, she will take care of you, okay?" He murmured and Lee Ann stepped away and nodded her head. "Hintayin mo na lang si Ate mo sa kotse, may pag-uusapan lang kami." He instructed and watched as his youngest daughter started to walk away. He averted his gaze as his tears fell one by one.

"Dad..." Alexa called as she kneeled before him.

"Alexa, promise me one thing. Take care of your sisters." Atty. Carbonel said and Alexa's eyes mirrored the confusion that she felt.

"Hindi po ba babalik naman kayo, Dad?" She asked and he swallowed hard and looked at her.

"Hindi ko sigura-"

"Hindi pwede!" Alexa said. "Hindi pwedeng hindi kayo bumalik. I will take care of the businesses, I will even become a lawyer in this country for you, I will take care of everyone but promise me that you will come back!"

"Alexa-"

"Dad! No!" Alexa exclaimed shaking her head. "I won't take no for an answer." She added emotionally and bowed her head. "Wala pa naman po akong hiningi sa inyo na kahit ano, Dad. Ito lang. Mangako ka babalik ka sa amin." She said as she tried to contain her tears. "Lahat ng sama ng loob at atraso nyo kakalimutan ko, all is forgiven but promise me that you will come back."