Chapter 6

Rebecca stood in front of the mirror in her room, studying her reflection with a frown. Jeremy had called her to tell her that she was to join them for dinner that evening, something that she was not prepared for. Her refusals to do so had gone unacknowledged by Jeremy, who had hung up after giving her the message.

With a groan, she removed the peach colored dress and reached for a black one. Putting it on, she moved back to the mirror. Smoothing her hands over her hips, she turned to her side, 'this should do it!' she scrunched her face. Glancing at her watch she quickly pulled her hair up to a lose bun and pinned it up. After applying her makeup which consisted of a light pink lipstick, soft blush and very minimal eyeliner and shadow, she slipped her feet into her low pumps.

After a quick check on the mirror, she took a deep breath and walked out of her room. Making her way to the kitchen, she did not see Jeremy coming down the stairs until he was a few steps away from her. With a surprised gasp, Rebecca turned to him.

'Oh, hi!' she smiled at him, pushing away a lose strand from her face. 'I didn't hear you come in.'

Jeremy had stopped on the third stair, his hand on the cufflink he was trying to pin. His eyes travelled down her body, taking in the black dress and low pumps. She looked good, great actually. He frowned, wondering where that thought came from.

When he did not reply, Rebecca ran wiped her hands on her stomach, 'i-is this ok? I was not sure how formal the dinner was.'

Jeremy mentally shook himself into reality. Clearing his throat he made his way down the remaining stairs. 'It's fine.'

Rebecca frowned. He did not sound impressed, 'I could always change if it's not appropriate.'

'No, I said it was fine.' Jeremy made his way to the dining room, as he left Rebecca staring after him. He walked straight to the liquor cabinet, poured himself a shot and downed it in a gulp.

'Are you alright?' Rebecca walked in with plates in her hands. She went forth to set the dining table, opting to use the smaller table in the room.

His friends had always wondered why he had two tables in the room. It was all his mother's fault. He had wanted a huge table for entertaining his friends, but his mother had wanted the intimacy of a small table for a small family. To appease his mother he made a decision of having to dining tables, one a centre piece while the other on the side.

'Jeremy, are you ok?' Rebecca asked again as she stood straight from leaning over the table to place the plates down.

'Why do you ask?'

Rebecca shrugged, 'you seem preoccupied.'

Jeremy cocked his eyes, 'so you now know me well enough to know when I am preoccupied?'

Rebecca bent her head to hide her blush and disappointment. She did not mean to pry, she just wanted to know what was bothering him. Her mother had always told her that if there was something that she could do to help a person with thoughts.

'I am sorry, I didn't mean to pry,' she gave him a small, tight smile and turned away from him, walking to the kitchen.

Jeremy closed his eyes and took a deep breath, 'Becca..'

Rebecca turned, 'yes?'

He opened his mouth to apologize, only to be interrupted by the doorbell. 'Get that,' he said instead as he turned to pour himself another drink

Rebecca took a deep breath to calm herself down. She had never been discharged that way, ever! Walking slowly to the door, she pasted a smile before pulling it open.