Chapter 5

Rory slept in late the next morning, hoping Deacon would be gone by then. At eleven, it was as much time as Rory could stand just laying in bed. He got up slowly and crept across the hall into the bathroom. He stripped of his clothes and tossed them aside, almost instantly noticing the scrapes on his shoulder. 

From Deacon's teeth. 

He then pulled out a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, dampened a cotton ball, and cleaned the area. Rory got dressed and went downstairs, hungry for breakfast.

Only, Deacon was still there. Rory stalled at the kitchen, watching Deacon and Kristen hugged and giggled. 

"Where's mom?" Rory croaked out. 

"She went to a Weight Watchers meeting," Kristen informed. "She should be back around one."

Rory scowled, wishing that Kristen and Deacon would move so he could get something to eat. He didn't want to be near Deacon right now. Rory finally gave up and went for the fridge, which still left him about three feet away from Deacon. That was better than nothing. 

"How'd you sleep last night?" Deacon asked.

Rory ignored the question, but after Kristen didn't answer, he realized it was aimed at him. Rory didn't answer and pulled out an apple from the fruit drawer before slamming the fridge shut. "I'm walking over to Aaron's," he announced. 

"Okay," Kristen answered happily, wrapping her arms around Deacon's shoulders. 

Rory grabbed a zip-up sweatshirt and was out of the house before they could get much further. He ate the apple along the way, glaring at the ground as he walked. Had Deacon been drunk? No. He had consciously said Rory's name. He had known who he was with. 

Rory got to his friend's house and knocked on the door. Aaron's mother answered, looking a little confused to see Rory. She let him in anyways, and Rory went for the basement. Aaron was down there already, playing video games on his Xbox.

"I didn't know you were coming over," Aaron pointed out, digging up a second controller. 

"Just..." Rory huffed. "Deacon slept over last night."

"Does your mom know?" Aaron asked. 

"No, or she wouldn't have just left Deacon alone at the house this morning," Rory sighed and watched the screen as Aaron set up the game. 

Aaron didn't need to know what else Deacon had done last night. Rory didn't understand it himself, how was he supposed to explain it to someone else? He just wanted to forget about it for a while, and video games were great at doing that. 

Rory spent the entire afternoon at Aaron's house, sprawled out on the basement floor. It was nice, until Aaron's father got home. 

"Now I have two vampire children in my basement!" he exclaimed, with good humor. But Rory knew where this was going. "You two spend too much time inside. Let me take you out, to some batting cages or something," 

Rory looked at his cell phone. "Sorry, I have to go."

"Rory!" Aaron pleaded. "Come on. Come with me. I don't want to go." 

"Sorry, I just went swimming yesterday," Rory said and stood up. "I've had enough 'need to get out more' for a while now." 

Aaron groaned, and Rory gladly left. He wandered back to his house, hoping Deacon would be gone by now, but his car was still parked out front. Well, so was his mother's... at least she was home now. 

Rory snuck back in the house, where Deacon and Kristen were on the couch. Figures. Kristen's head turned on a swivel. "Where were you?" she demanded, and Deacon paused the movie. "Did you... hear something last night?" Kristen lowered her voice. 

Rory just stared at her, feeling himself blush. 

"f*ck," Kristen hissed. "Rory, you can't tell mom." 

"I'll talk to him," Deacon said and stood up. Rory tried to get out of it, heading for the stairs, but Deacon caught him by the wrist.

Deacon dragged him outside and to the car. Rory's mother hadn't even seen him come home. What if Deacon killed him or something? The only person to know he had gone with Deacon would be Kristen, and—

"Rory," Deacon's voice cut in, knuckles white on the wheel as he wove the way out of the neighborhood. 

"I'm not going to tell my mom," Rory answered quickly, hoping he could get back to the house. 

"That's not what I want to talk about," Deacon lowered his voice. "Last night, you and me."

Rory didn't say anything. He leaned closer to the door, staring out the window in hopes of avoiding the conversation all together. 

"I wasn't entirely... sober," Deacon admitted. "But I was aware of what I was doing, and with who."

Still no answer from Rory. Maybe Deacon would just ask that they not talk about it again.

"Rory," Deacon sighed and pulled into a half-filled parking lot. "Don't you have anything to say? To ask? You tore out pretty fast this morning, as soon as you realized I was still there."

"I don't get it," Rory snapped. "Kristen's... Kristen. She's pretty. She's a girl. She can have babies. I can't. So there's no reason to... with me." 

Deacon snorted, trying to hold back a laugh. "What the f*ck does this have to do with babies?"

"Well," Rory puffed up defensively. "When you date someone, it's to get married. Married people have kids, you know, keep the family tree going."

"Shit," Deacon said, full-on laughing now. "I am not marrying your sister, or anything like that. I'm gay."

"But you're dating Kristen," Rory pointed out. 

"Does that have to be a problem?" Deacon huffed. "She's nice, but..."

"Rory," Deacon stressed, putting his hand over Rory's. Rory pulled away quickly, huddling against the door. Deacon sighed and backed off. "I'd like to have something with you, Rory." 

"That's not..." Rory trailed off, feeling a blush creep up. "You had sex with her though, didn't you?"

Deacon went stony cold at that. "...I did," he admitted. 

"Multiple... partners," Rory started. "There's a risk for STDs and STIs." He paused for another moment. "And it doesn't make sense. You already have her for those... things. Why would you need me for that?"

Deacon sighed. "That doesn't mean I enjoy it. I would rather be involved with you."

"But?" Rory narrowed his eyes suspiciously.

"There's..." Deacon ran his hands down his face in frustration. "Rory, there's not a whole log of 'but' to it. I am interested in you, and would like to pursue something with you." 

"It doesn't make any sense, though. There's no good reason for us... two guys... it's just carnal desire." Rory twisted his hands together nervously in his lap. 

"So what, you're saying you don't like to feel good?" Deacon lowered his voice playfully. 

Rory backed up in his seat when he felt a solid hand run over his thigh. "You can understand that, right?" Deacon's breath tickled Rory's ear. 

"Deacon," Rory pleaded. 

"Rory, I like men. I like you. But I can't... I'm not out. I want things I can't have, at least not openly. Please, please just give me a chance with this."

It didn't have to mean anything. It probably wouldn't. It was better that way. Deacon had been right. There was nothing wrong with wanting physical pleasure, right?

“No,” Rory finally answered.

Dean let out a sigh, but drove them back. In the car, outside the house, Deacon shared a last quick touch. He ran the back of his hand along Rory's cheek. "If it bothers you that I'm all over your sister, let me know."

Rory shrugged and hopped out of the car. Deacon followed up the walk behind Rory. 

"There you are, Rory," his mother called from the kitchen. "I need your laundry." 

"Okay," Rory bolted up the stairs and into his room. He could hear Kristen and Deacon start to talk on his way up. 

With Deacon around, maybe he should start doing his own laundry.