Chapter 20

“So then my mom unplugged the game before I could save,” Justin complained dramatically. “And made me go to bed anyways.”

“You never get any sleep otherwise,” Aaron grumbled. “That’s why my dad makes me keep it down in the basement, so it’s not in my room and whatnot. And he’s a light sleeper, so he hears me sneaking down.”

“My mom apparently has an old Atari,” Rory chimed in, since it was really the only console he owned.

Justin seemed impressed at least, but Aaron didn’t know what that was until Rory explained it. “How come I never knew you had it?” Justin complained. “You have to lend it to me, or let me come over and use it.”

“I didn’t know I had it either, not until Deacon found it,” Rory answered matter-of-factly, earning himself a confused look from Aaron.

“You mean your sister’s ex-boyfriend?” Aaron asked.

Rory sent Aaron a panicked look, pleading for help on explaining it. Aaron cleared his throat. “Now he’s Rory’s boyfriend.”

Justin was quite for a minute, processing. He narrowed his eyes and inspected Rory closely. “You don’t seem gay?”

Aaron swiftly punched him the arm. “And you don’t seem like a jerk.”

“I’m not a jerk!” Justin shrieked quickly. “But yeah, fine, I get it. So wait, is Deacon into video games or something then?”

“No, he was cleaning out one of our closets and found it,” Rory answered, this time getting a look from both of them. “My mom pays him to do odd jobs around the house,” he added quickly. It wasn’t a lie, and they didn’t need to know the situation of Deacon living with them. It was touchy enough for Deacon as it was.

“Oh. So is it weird if I come play the Atari then? Like, will he get jealous or something?” Justin questioned in all seriousness.

Aaron groaned and punched him in the arm. “Dude, he has a boyfriend. I think that means they like each other, not you, so shut up.”

“Am I not attractive?” Justin asked.

Aaron just groaned again and leaned back dramatically in his seat. Rory just gave Justin a blank look. “Not to me, no.”

“Gee, thanks,” Justin grumbled sourly and poked at his lunch.

“Well if he said yeah, then you would be all weird about it,” Aaron said, wagging his finger at Justin. “So you aren’t going to be happy either way, so just don’t ask those questions. And like I said, since he’s dating Deacon, he likes Deacon, not you.”

“So can I come play the Atari or not?” Justin huffed impatiently.