Chapter 15

Rory felt something vibrate under his back. He half closed the magazine in confusion before wiggling around on his bed to find his phone. He felt his stomach twist nervously when he saw there was a text message from Deacon: I’m outside.

What was that supposed to mean even? Rory sighed and typed out a reply. Is that a statement or request?

A second later his phone rang with Deacon calling. “Just… come outside,” Deacon muttered, sounding frustrated.

Rory quietly agreed and went for his shoes. He slipped out of the house without getting much attention. Deacon was parked a little ways down the street, probably to avoid being seen by Kristen.

Rory got in the passenger side. Deacon was obviously tense, with his hands clutched on the steering wheel even though the car was off. “Social services came by,” he admitted. He twisted his grip on the wheel. “I don’t know what I’m going to do. My dad was so pissed…”

“Is that what happened here?” Rory tapped at his jaw, implying where Deacon had a bruise.

Deacon snorted. “I just said he was pissed. It’s not unreasonable.”

“He shouldn’t be hitting you like that,” Rory stated firmly.

“I only have a few months left until I’m eighteen, and then it’s not even any of their business,” Deacon sighed, running a hand back through his hair. “Fucking Mr. White.”

“Who said it was Mr. White?” It was out of Rory’s mouth before he could stop himself. Deacon looked over at him, long and hard. “I mean, I’m sure he had something to do with it,” Rory added quickly. “But…”

“He needs to mind his own business,” Deacon snapped. “He doesn’t even have any real grounds. I’ve had maybe all of two bruises and he suddenly thinks it’s the end of the world,” he began to rant. “I’m not some little kid. I can handle myself. Hell, who says I don’t hit my dad back?” He slapped the steering wheel then. “Maybe Mr. White would like to see how it is to get a real hit—”

“I told him, Deacon,” Rory cut in quickly.

Deacon’s eyes flashed over to him. “Told who what?”

Rory was sure he knew what he had meant. “I told Mr. White,” Rory admitted more quietly. “What you told me.”

Deacon opened his mouth and then snapped it shut. He fixed his eyes forward, jaw set. “Fuck, Rory. Why would you do that?” He didn’t sound as angry as Rory thought; in fact, his voice seemed to waver.

“Because it’s not…” Rory wasn’t sure he could even explain it. “If it’s not a real problem, then why are you so afraid of them finding out what’s going on at home?”

Deacon didn’t answer. He rubbed his face with his hand. “I don’t know what I’m going to do, Rory,” he admitted, his voice cracking. “I just want to make it through graduation. Neither of them have even graduated high school, much less made it to college…”