Chapter 9

Rory gave himself a pump of hand sanitizer and spread it over his hands. He then realized Mr. White was watching him yet again and guiltily trekked back to his seat. He made sure to pay extra attention through out all of the class. If it didn’t affect his grades Mr. White couldn’t really complain.

“After class,” Mr. White said anyways, breezing by Rory’s desk a few minutes before the end of class.

Rory scowled down at his lap. He didn’t see the reason for it. When the end of the day bell rang he took his time packing up his things and hoped that no one realized he was staying after. When the last student left, Mr. White gently shut the door to his class.

“So have you tried approaching one of the counselors?” Mr. White asked.

“No,” Rory grumbled, shooting a glare towards his teacher. “I don’t see the need to. It doesn’t affect anything.”

“Maybe not academically, but maybe there’s some part of your life that you wish you could change but you find yourself saying ‘no, I can’t, it’s dirty’,” Mr. White theorized. “You should try getting out of your comfort zone at least a little. I could talk to one of the counselors for you, too. They could call you up to talk about it. You might even get to miss a little class.” Mr. White smiled playfully.

“Why would I want to miss class?” Rory asked.

Mr. White rolled his eyes. “The one student who doesn’t like to miss class, then,” he joked. “But alright. Moving on. Deacon is dating your sister?”

Rory hesitated in answering. What did that have to do with anything? “Yeah.”

“Do you know much about his home life?”

“I know they were fighting about Kristen not being able to go over,” Rory answered. “But I don’t know why. Oh, he has an older brother and it’s just his dad.”

“But you’ve never met them or anything?” Mr. White probed gently.

“Why can’t you just ask Deacon?” Rory countered.

“What did he tell you about that bruise?” Mr. White avoided one question with another.

Rory hesitated then. “he said he fell out of bed but I don’t believe him.”

Mr. White just nodded. “That’s all, then. I’ll see you in class tomorrow. I’ll be taking my sanitizer bottle away.”

“What? Why?” Rory protested quickly. “I mean there’s still a chance of swine flu, and I thought that that was the school’s prevention method so you can’t just take it away!”

“Rory, if you take care of yourself you won’t get sick. Eating right; vitamin C, all of that. You don’t need the sanitizer. See you tomorrow.”

Rory huffed and stalked out of the room. He went to the parking lot and met up with Kristen and Deacon at the car. “Running a bit late,” Deacon teased. “You had White last, didn’t you?”