Chapter 5 - "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

Chapter 5

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”

-       Theodore Roosevelt

July 2011:

“Congratulations.” Rob grinned. “You are officially half way through your sentence.”

I groaned and slumped into the couch in his office. Trey was off at his regular counselling sessions and I’d worked out a schedule around them. Whenever he was with the doctor, I was with Rob.

I bit my lip. “Is it weird if I say I don’t want it to be over?”

He shrugged. “Just remember that he’ll be out a month after you.”

I shrugged. “This wasn’t supposed to happen.  I wasn’t even supposed to make friends, let alone relationships.”

He chuckled and then just smiled at me wisely. “You can’t help who you fall in love with.”

I nodded. “Yes, yes you can. And we’re not in love.”

“No, you’re just extremely close to it.” He whispered.

I rolled my eyes. “Shut up Rob, this is your fault.”

He shook his head. “I merely put the two of you together, you were the ones to actually begin things. I just gave you a little push.”

I sighed heavily and covered my face with my hands. “It’s only been five months and I can’t imagine being without him. What’s going to happen at the end of the year?”

He shrugged. “You’ll be heart broken but you’ll keep in touch.”

“Not with my foster parents.” I mumbled. “I wish someone would adopt me.”

“You have no chance.” He told me. “Technically I’m not supposed to say that but…you’re a sixteen year old girl fresh out of duty, of course no one will adopt you. Fostering though, you might have a chance.”

I shook my head. “I hate fostering though. It’s never permanent.”

He smiled small. “I’ll see if I can pull a few strings.”

“Thanks, but I know there’s nothing you can do.” I sighed.

He ruffled through his draw and pulled out a book before tossing it to me. “Here, I got this for you. Knock yourself out.”

I smiled. “Thank you, Rob.”

“Don’t neglect me for your boyfriend though, Laurel. I miss you.” He faked a pout. “I’ll talk to you later.”

I grinned and waved from the door. “See you soon.”

I bumped into Trey in the middle of the hall and he wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed my lips gently. I smiled and grabbed one of his hands before beginning to walk in the direction of the common room.

We sat down on the floor, beside the window. It had become ‘our spot’ no one else even dared to sit there. I wasn’t sure what they thought we’d done but most people seemed to be slightly scared of us, it was ridiculous.

“So, how was your session?” I asked.

He shrugged. “Fine, I guess. You’re so lucky you got out of them.”

I smiled. “I have to do it monthly now. Seriously, if you pretend like you’re alright he has no reason to keep you there.”

“But I’m not alright.” He whispered.