Chapter 14 - "Love is needing someone..." Sarah Dessen, This Lullaby

Chapter 14

“Love is needing someone. Love is putting up with someone’s bad qualities because they somehow complete you.”

-       Sarah Dessen, This Lullaby

I sighed and rolled onto my side, looking into his eyes. He smiled at me as he brushed a stray curl from my face. Out of the small amount of times we’d woken up beside each other this was by far my favourite. I remembered everything about the night before and I knew there was nothing to regret.

“You have so many freckles.” He whispered.

I laughed almost silently. “I feel like I get more every year. It’s ridiculous.”

“They’re beautiful.” He whispered.

I closed my eyes and smiled. All of a sudden I felt his hands on my face, poking at my cheeks. I laughed again and my whole body shook as I slowly opened my eyes. He was staring at me, very close to my face and concentrating very hard.

He laughed. “Stop moving, I’m trying to focus.”

I rolled my eyes. “What are you doing?”

“I’m counting your freckles.” He whispered before biting his tongue, trying his absolute hardest to keep count.

I closed my eyes again and tried not to move.

A few minutes later he sat up a little with a grin. “Okay, you have exactly forty three freckles…” He paused before slipping his hand under the cover and down to behind the very top of my thigh. “Including the one down there.”

I squealed and laughed again. I loved that things were slowly going back to how they used to be, before we became a couple. “Lucky we cleared that up then.”

He laughed with me and lay down on his back. “What are you planning on doing today?”

I sighed. “Staying in bed, all day.”

“I thought you worked Saturday nights?” He asked me.

I nodded once. “I know but…” I faked a cough. “I think I’m coming down with something.”

He rolled his eyes. “You’re going to lose your job, you took last night off.”

I smiled and shook my head. “No, Tully’s aunt is my boss. She’s cool; she’ll let me off. They’ve got plenty of people to cover for me.”

He sat up even straighter and smiled. “Well, do you want me to get out of here then?”

I scoffed. “You just want me to ask you to stay.”

He nodded and laughed. “Yes, that’s exactly what I want.”

I sighed. “Well, stay. If you want.”

He stared at me, in silence. Just watching me with his pretty blue eyes. Whenever he looked at me I couldn’t help but laugh. He just made me giggle. He made me happy.

“It’s so easy to make you laugh.” He smirked.

I shrugged. “Maybe you just make me laugh.”

He rolled his eyes. “Well, I guess I’m just good for you.”

I smiled. “What should we do today?”

“More like, what shouldn’t we do today?” Trey laughed.

I stood up and practically dived towards my DVD cabinet and pulled out my supernatural set. I’d once promised myself that I’d get through them all in one year but I got up to season seven and gave up. I smiled and opened it up, putting it into the drive. When I settled back into the bed he gave me a look. I knew he wouldn’t have seen much of it but I also knew he wouldn’t care what we watched, as long as I was happy.