shine

Over this morning's shower, I have become aware that I will have to get used to staying in places for only a night, two if lucky. Nazmi – Lina's cousin – did tease me a bit at our first encounter last night, but he's definitely distraught, I can tell by his grins and chuckles trying so desperately to hide that.

And now someone's rapping at the door. Thank goodness I'm already dressed.

Nazmi stands there, all dressed up, his hair still a standing mess, his face somehow...concerned.

'What is it?' I ask, even though I already know from his face that it's something bad.

'You shouldn't stay here for too long.'

'What...'

'Last night, maybe round ten, someone on the door told me she was looking for someone named Esra Harrow. I asked her why, and she said this person's brother was looking for her.'

'Could you describe her to me?'

'Sorry, but I'm not good with descriptions. I was with Lina, though, you should ask her.'

'Is she here?'

'Yeah, not really. You're gonna have to wait till afternoon, she's still at school now. We can talk about it now, though, just the two of us.'

'Here or downstairs?'

'Well, don't think it's gonna take that long. Maybe just here. We're not really waiting for Lina doing nothing, right?'

'Like that's even possible.'

Nazmi then asks me, 'Do you really want to stay here till afternoon, though?'

'Haven't thought about that. I thought this place was safe, then you told me just minutes ago that I shouldn't spend another night here. But I want to know who asked about me...'

Well, the talk doesn't last that long. We just can't seem to find something to talk about, moving from one thing to another – Lina, Cambridge, Nazmi himself, a little about my long story. So I go back into the room and pack up, getting ready to be on the move again.

I will leave right after I find out about this person from Lina.

At four o'clock I leave the room, waiting for her downstairs. When I am only one stair step away from the ground floor, Lina opens the front door with a couple filled up plastic bags in her left hand. I keep the question for later, after she sorts out whatever are in those bags.

Nazmi closes the door for her and offers to carry one of the bags for her, but she insists that she could do it herself, so he waits in the kitchen. She drags the bags there and moves the things from one of them into the fridge, while he moves the things from the other bag to the cupboards.

When they are done I am still standing on the stairs, watching them. I walk to the kitchen, standing by the door.

'What is it?' she asks. 'You look like you want to ask something.'

Before I can say anything, he says, 'The person at the door last night. The one who's looking for her.'

'Ah, that one. What about them?'

'I'd like to know...what they looked like. Could you describe them...or her, I'm not sure.'

'On the tall side, definitely, a wee shorter than Nazmi. Wavy dark blonde hair, an inch below the shoulders. Got that odd mark on over here...' She points at her left temple.

'What mark?'

'Looks like a stitch mark, but might as well be a birthmark.'

Stitch mark on left temple. Solitude Kerry. Don't tell me she's picked his side too...

Maybe even Nazmi's picked my brother's side too but won't say a word about it because Lina was friends with my sister.

Ah, that's just impossible.

'Before you came home, Lina,' he says, 'there was another person at the door. Not the same one as last night. A guy. Also asked me about Esra.'

Ash flashes through my mind – it might as well be the other boys who were with him on my first night in Cambridge, at the chase scene, but it's his face that I remember the most.

Lina looks around the room for a moment, thinking.

'What did he ask you? Did he say anything about a brother...'

'He said he'd take her to her brother if he found her...'

She turns to me and says, 'We don't think you should stay here for another night. We did tell those people they wouldn't find you here, but the point is they already know this place, it's not as safe as it used to be.'

'Alright then, if that's so. But do you know anywhere else I can stay? If there's any, though.'

'I'll send you an address.'

---

One of the odd days when The Lady's already out when I arrive in the teachers' room after class. Even her bag is not in its usual place – her seat. There's nothing lying in the middle of the desk, not even a piece of paper.

Someone else is in the room. Kier.

'Where's the Lady?'

'Ms Derek, well, I heard she's buying a dress for the party. She's going with Maggie. What is it, Ms Hallissey?'

'Nothing. Just wondering. By the way, even Arabella's called me Rue.'

'Maybe I need a few more months. See you tomorrow.'

He leaves as I put the things on my desk into the drawers.

I remember seeing a dress in my wardrobe the other day. I only saw it for a few seconds while I was flipping through, looking for something to wear to school.

That night, after I'm done with marking yet another stack of assignments, I get up from my chair, stretch for a moment, then look for the dress. A little spot on the left side shines, reflecting the light from the lamp. A long dress with a glittered belt. I don't know if I will wear that belt or another belt that I have, but maybe for the sparkle.

Should I wear this...

I put the dress back where it was, next to...another set of clothes that looks suitable for a party. An orange lace blouse with pink details, paired with a long pink skirt. I try it on to see if it still fits – it's from a few years ago.

And it still fits me as when I first bought it.

I put the set back to its hanger and hang it behind the door.

Now that I've settled on the dress, or at least an option of two, what's left is the lucky person to go there with. And speaking of which, I still haven't heard anything from Arabella – that one red dot is just a random advertisement text from the carrier.