patience

That's the end of the motorway.

The burgundy hatchback speeds past the crossed toll road sign, now entering London. Ash is next to me, on the driver's seat. His phone is on the dash, blocking the speedometer; every once in a while it would light up to show a message. He takes one hand off the wheel and flips it screen down.

The view in front of me, the buildings, the direction signs, they all look familiar. I move my sights to the side and look into every alleyway we pass by. Some of them are dark and lead to dead ends, some of them are like tunnels leading to light, some of them are lit but the lights are dim.

My first days escaping took me into alleys, where I would stay in abandoned buildings.

We stop in front of a corner shop. Someone's waiting by the door. I can't see their face, they're looking down and they've got their hood on. At the sight of the car, they take off the hood, revealing their face.

Eyüp. What's he doing here?

I put on my hood right before Ash opens the front passenger window.

'So, how's it going, mate?'

'Never better. Look what we've got here.' Ash points at me.

'Right. Could you take us to my place, then?'

'My pleasure.'

Eyüp gets into the back seat and sits in the middle, peeking between the front seats, his legs straddling the bump behind the clutch and handbrake. He leans onto the driver's seat, grinning with curiosity.

'Tell me a bit about the chase.'

'Yeah, we already had her right after she arrived in Cambridge. Actually, I lured her there with a disguise. But she was really clever too at first, disguising as Sara Harris. Unfortunately her name's a bit too close – that last name even starts with the same sound. Can't be fooled that easily.'

I honestly thought they wouldn't find out so easily, but a few letters to them super sleuths are a complete giveaway. Oh, I should have said something else.

'Then why did it take you this long to actually get her?'

'Emine's friends. She'd gave Esra her contacts here and there. And she's been hopping between these places. We caught her on the streets when she was alone. There was a little interruption, but the other mates took care of that.'

Rüveyde. They were fighting her, that was the interruption. If only she had kept the boys occupied a little longer, I could have been with Mara right now and not with these two bastards. Sacrifice is still sacrifice, though; I could have been taken here while unconscious after getting beaten up, I wouldn't be able to listen to this talk.

'Here we go. Home sweet home.'

Only sweet if Mum's in there.

Ash brakes the car and it stops a yard off. I take off my seatbelt but stay put on the seat, waiting for my brother's response. He opens the front passenger door and pulls me out of the car, pushes me back and with a thank you to Ash, he slams the door. Ash takes a U-turn back to the roads we just went through, probably back to Cambridge.

'Everyone's been so worried, you know. You shouldn't escape like that.'

If only I bloody had another choice.

'I know. I won't do that again.'

'Alright then.'

---

Five o'clock. I think Ara said she was going to visit me this afternoon.

I survived the doormat fight. Nothing's broken. I think. My body still aches, though, and I've got bruises and scars scattered across my arms and legs and face, mostly the face. I can still walk around the house, but my neighbour Mally has been helping me with a lot of things to do in this place.

I lie down on the couch while Mally sits on a chair she took from the dining room with a notebook on her lap.

'What's that?'

'Just something to keep random notes in. Whatever I have in my mind, I write it down on this thing. Right now I'm on my plans for the second half of my gap year.'

'And how was the first half?'

'Made it around the country. And to think I could only do that in at least a year.'

'By the way, who's that on the door?'

Mally gets up and opens the door. Ara's finally here. Well, I think that's her. I don't hear much of their talk by the door, but soon Mally lets her in and closes the door.

'Good afternoon. Looks like someone's staying at home today.'

'Hi. Good afternoon. Any idea who took care of my class today?'

'Maggie, I think. I didn't pay attention. I just knew you were absent, that's all. So who's been taking care of you while I was at school?'

I point my hand at Mally.

'I'm Mally, her neighbour. Nice to meet you...'

'Arabella, a friend from work. Nice to meet you too. Looks like you've done a great job with her.'

'Thanks. A couple of days, maybe another day after that, and she's set.'

'Do you think I can go to the ball?' I ask Ara.

'We'll see in three days, I guess. If things are still not fine then I don't think you should.'