21: There's Nothing Holding Me Back

Alright. Warning, guys. I've been cautious to uploads this chapter due to what's happening in the world lately. We are gonna have some angry, triggered people in this chapter and that's okay. And yes, that means we touch base with some racial stuff, so hang on tight, because it lasts for about three chapters, but I promise it's for a good purpose. Cheers.

When Moses parted the Red Sea, it wasn't even half as shocking as when Fiona's mom had given in to Adam's request of letting him take Fiona out on a date.

Fiona had watched, gobsmacked, as Adam had followed her home the night before and then talked to her mom for a solid ten minutes alone in the living room while Fiona waited with her ear pressed to the door. It was then both her mom and Adam had come back out to the kitchen, Adam looking rather pale, but nonetheless victorious. Her mom had then proceeded to tell Fiona that the agreement would be that the date would be no longer than two hours long and there would be no alcohol, no partying or any kind of behavior that wouldn't pass in church. Both of them had nodded and agreed, and that's how Fiona found herself going on a date with Adam tonight.

Standing in the DanceDec, in the girl's bathroom with Kalo working on her makeup, Fiona felt nervous ants crawl through her stomach for some reason. She didn't know why she was so nervous all of a sudden—or maybe she did, because this was her first actual real date with a boy, if you looked past the night where they went dancing together.

Tonight would be completely different, wouldn't it?

"You look so fucking nervous and cute," Kalo grinned at her as Fiona tried to breathe without accidentally choking on the ball in her throat. "Relax, girl. Adam's got you covered. I'm sure it's just gonna be a nice, quiet evening."

To that, Fiona couldn't help but send a flat stare back up at Kalo who bit her lip not to crack. Nice and quiet didn't go in a sentence with Adam.

"Okay, you're right. He's probably got something big planned and you're gonna need all the help you can get."

"Oh, God," Fiona let out a shaky breath and started picking at her bottom lip. Kalo quickly flicked her forehead to make her stop.

"Hey, don't ruin the gloss. You look perfect right now and so help me God, I'm not doing your whole makeup again. Girl up."

She was right. Fiona tried to take a calming breath, but the nervous butterflies stayed in her stomach.

After a long day of dancing and rehearsing the new routine Adam had come up with for her audition, the clock had struck 5.30pm. Kalo had burst in and announced it was time to get ready for the big date night, whereafter she had stolen Fiona away and locked them inside the girl's bathroom. The following thirty minutes had been filled with Kalo stuffing her into different outfits (all sponsored by Kalo herself) and doing her hair and makeup, which then finally brought them to now.

"Alright, you're done," Kalo announced, pulling back after coating one last coat of mascara on her lashes. "Jeeeesus, you're gonna knock him over. This I gotta see."

She grinned smugly while Fiona only managed a strained smile. Her hands were clammy and her knees felt oddly wobbly. Was the air in the bathroom becoming thicker?

"Come on," Kalo pulled her up from the floor and then dragged her to the door, where, on the other side, Adam had been waiting impatiently for them to finish up. His frequent knocks on the door and irritated outbursts of "what's taking so damn long?!" had only made Kalo work purposely slower. She had said it was good for him to learn some patience.