22: All Of Me

Very important reminder for this chapter: Fiona doesn't know all the facts in this chapter yet, so she blames it on what she thinks is the cause of their hatred towards him. The true reasons will become clear in the next chapter, which is why Adam says what he says. Proceed with caution.

Fiona had ridden the ambulance with Adam, watching while the paramedics worked on him, checking his vitals and hooking him up to all sorts of equipment. It took a little while, but eventually Adam came to, just as they arrived at the hospital. Fiona followed as he was driven into the ER, her heart still stuck in her throat while her mind was caught in the past.

Much like her father, Adam had looked as pale as he had done as they arrived at the hospital. Of course her father had already long ago passed by the time the ambulance picked them up, whereas Adam kept his good eye open, if not looking a little distant. He had lost a lot of blood, not to mention the harsh bruising that contrasted his pale skin in a grisly manner.

Fiona held back her tears as the doctors and nurses hooked him up to a station in the ER. They started by asking him his name and social security number. Thankfully Adam was lucid enough to give them the answers they needed, but he still looked faded. Exhausted. When a nurse then came to palpate his chest and abdominal regions, he winced out loudly in pain.

Fiona then listened to the doctors exchange words. Fractured ribs, possibly broken. A broken nose and a busted ear drum. Possible concussion. A few minor cuts and bruises. Possible blood in the lungs and stomach from choking on the blood from his broken nose. His one good eye that could still open responded well to the flashlight, but the other one was swollen shut.

Fiona felt herself hyperventilate as everyone around her started working on Adam, cleaning up his blood and applying ointment to his bruised eye. When a nurse then finally came up to him with a vial and a bag filled with some liquid, Adam groaned out hoarsely. 

"Is there something fun in there?" He rasped, causing Fiona to flip her eyes up and look at his face. He winced shortly as the nurse pricked his arm with the needle and laid a drip. "—Ahh, it better be fun, because that really wasn't."

The nurse smiled softly and wrapped a bandage around the drip to keep it put. "It'll work in a few minutes. It'll help with the pain before we take you up to X-rays."

"Great. If I start singing before, please record it. I've never been high before," He weakly spoke to the nurse who smiled again and took off her gloves. "Promise me?" His lips turned up in the faintest smile. Fiona couldn't believe what she was seeing.

"Alright," The nurse spoke. "You just relax, and don't bother the nurses while they work, alright?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Alright. Now things might sting a little, too," She warned, turning to Adam's bruised and scraped stomach as she picked out an antiseptic wipe.

"Wait wait, is there alcohol in that?" He slurred tiredly at the nurse, just as she hovered the wipe over his stomach with a raised brow. "Because I can't have that. My grams told me... not to mix alcohol with drugs," He said, cracking a little smile. The nurse let out a chuckle. "She'll kill me if she finds out."

"I'm sure she'll forgive you just this once," The nurse admonished and then started to clean his wounds where the shoes of those assholes had scraped his skin clean off.

Adam winced a little, but didn't let out another peep. It was right then he turned his eyes towards Fiona who was caught in a stiff trance of surreal shock. His smile instantly faded. "Fee? Fee, come here, please."