13. Blue As You

"I like my night skies to be blue,
Blue as you."
Blue as you by Shawn Mullins

Chapter Thirteen:

Trent stops for a fleeting moment, gaping at me as if I've grown two heads, before he slowly nods. “That's my girl.” He gives me a saucy wink, before he takes off toward the bar, with Alexa shadowing him.

I feel their scrutinizing gazes at me, but I choose to evade them, leaning back in my stool and quickly scanning the deranged crowd. Eventually, my meandering eyes resort to Dylan's, and he doesn't disappoint. I find his profound gaze already fixated on me, and I look back, making sure I give him the same treatment. Suddenly, his shocked face changes, his open mouth dissolving into a smirk, before he looks away, the snide smile still grazing his lips.

I let my gaze stray too, tapping my fingers on the table to the sprightly rhythm of Sia’s “Never Give Up”, and it's not because I want to dance a shimmy. I was thinking of nothing but challenge when I ordered that drink. It's not like the first time I drink alcohol, I've done it many times before when I was underage, but it's been long since I've tasted a sip of booze. I swore I'd never do it again after the last time, but I'm so hard-nosed, and it's not so exacting for someone to pull my trigger. And oh boy, does he do it so well.

The nonexistent conversation launches into laughter when Trent and Alexa come back with our drinks, but I'm only sentient of the bashing of my heartbeats against my chest. I try my best to look normal, but I can't bypass the way Dylan is staring at me as if I'm going to flop and make an ass out of myself.

I regard the cocktail in front of me. It looks so magnetic, with sugar coating its rim. I look up, and incidentally, my eyes meet Dylan's again. He simply has a bottle of beer in his hand, the lip of it brushing his bottom lip. I can't help but stare, and his lips tardily and sultrily spread into a teasing smile, causing my eyes to shoot up to meet his once more. He takes a swig of his beer, and his throat works as he swallows, all under my concentrated stare. He looks at the glass in front of me for a second, stroking his chin on a frown, before his gaze moves upwards to looks at me. He raises his beer, pointing it in my direction. “To Candice's first true drink with us.” He winks devilishly, before taking another swig.

Everyone cheers, and I discern Claire smirking, raising her Margarita up at me. I grab my glass before overthinking it, and down half of it, hiding a wince. The drink is eccentric. I've never had something like it before, but it's not bad either. It has the perfect mix of sweetness and sourness, but I decide it's not my thing. I look around, expecting everyone to be gaping at me, but I find the contrary. Trent is in a deep conversation with Alexa, who's twirling her bangs around her fingers, and giggling at whatever he says. However, I find Dylan watching me, leaving an ear for Claire's fiddling talk. His eyes keep darting between us, chuckling, and I have a feeling it's not at her.

I take another sip, and I feel it. The dose of dopamine swarming my tense brain, making me feel a little fuzzy, and dulling my bustling thoughts. Uncontrollably, a smile plants itself on my mouth, and it leisurely but surely grows into a grin. Shit. Am I going to make a fool out of myself before finishing one drink? I shake my head, facing Logan, and I thank God when I find his eyes riveted on his phone. He looks up when he feels my gaze on him, smiling immediately. “Wanna dance?”

I titter, repeatedly shaking my head. “Oh no. I don't dance.”

I hear a snort emanating from Trent's direction, and I start to shoot him a dirty look, but he's not looking at me, however, the smirk is evident on his face.