41. King Of The Blues

"When he hears her sing so sweetly,
he knows he just can't lose.
When he holds her in his arms he knows that
he's the king of the blues."
King of the blues by Gary Moore

“God! It was like the most beautiful date I've ever been to!” Alexa blazes dreamily, looking around, as if to scan the cluttered crowd, but from the look on her face, I can tell that she's reminiscing about her beautiful date with my noxious ex-boyfriendthe one who didn't just shatter my heart, but also betrayed me.

“It was in a restaurant, Alexa.” Melody rolls her eyes, before she takes a sip of her martini. She must've–like me–gotten bored of hearing the same thing all over again, but then again, Ethan is quite the charismatic guy, and with her, he's using a new toxin; one that is univocally working.

I hope I'm mistaken.

Alexa sighs, shooting Melody a nasty look. “I know! But it was a fancy one!” Her eyes move from me to Melody, as if begging for our endorsement, before she sighs once more. “Fine! Restaurants are boring, but he was perfect; the way he acted, the way he spoke,” Her full-fledged smile comes back, and Melody exchanges an oh-no look with me. “The way he kissed me at the end of the night.”

“Video, or it didn't happen.” Melody sticks her tongue out at Alexa, which is immediately answered by a middle finger.

“Uh- Candice?” Alexa turns to me, an apologetic look on her face. “I'm sorry, I'm being dorky. I know you guys used to date and-”

“Don't be like that. It's totally fine, just be cautious with him.” I say, holding my hands up.

“You wouldn't tell us what he has done to you though.” Melody tilts her head to the side, her eyes shining with curiosity.

I'm thankful for the chatoyant lights for being able to hide my flush. I hate it when they keep prying, and I owe it to Alexa, but it's still a part of my yesteryears, and even though they know a lot–thanks to Bitch Claire–I’m still not willing to disclose more. I shake my head. “I don't want to talk about that. Let's move on.”

“Sure.” Melody shrugs. “Why are you avoiding Dylan?”

Thanks, Melody. Now she's going to tell her brother that I've been avoiding him, and not just engrossed in studying as I told him.

“What are you talking about?” I let out a nervous laugh, my eyes flickering over to Alexa.

She doesn't catch my look, taking another sip of her drink. “You told me you have to avoid him for a while!”

“Uh-

“It's fine. I won't tell him.” Alexa huffs, rolling her hazel eyes, which make me harken back to their duplicates, which I miss so much.

I can't help but laugh. “Well, you bitches will have to get me drunk to reveal that.” I wink saucily at them.

They both laugh. “Game on!” Alexa high-fives Melody, winking at her. “But first, I have to go to the restroom, and then I'll get a line of shots for you.” She jumps off her stool, sashaying glamorously to the restrooms in her rose gold, super tight, latex skirt, drawing some licentious looks from the perverts thronging the place.

“Are you sure you're not upset about her dating your ex?” Melody asks, fluffing her curly hair.

“I am.” I nod, sitting back. “Just like I'm not about you fucking Dylan once, and not telling​ me about it.” I shrug, watching the scarified look that takes over her face upon my words. “Both are in the past.”