Prologue

"I'm Harry Styles. I'm uh - I'm eighteen. I work in a bakery," he says shakily in to the mic, swallowing so loud that he fears everyone in the arena can hear him.

They don't. There's a round of clapping at his introduction, and then the place proceeds to quiet down.

Harry, he's nervous. It's his first time being up on stage like this, in front of judges and a huge audience. He didn't really know what to expect or how to prepare for something like this. A single spotlight shines down on him and lines the top of his lip with sweat. The gray cardigan he chose this morning seemed like a proper choice being in front of judges, but now it's fucking hot. So hot that it's nearly sticking to his sweaty skin. Curls are actually tamed, for once - framing his face in a nice little cocoon. There's only a few blemishes on his skin, but it wasn't anything Gemma couldn't hide with makeup.

Simon is sitting directly in front of him, and he's tapping a pen against the side of his head. He's staring directly at him, eyes scanning up and down the length of his lanky body. Harry swallows again, and the microphone is just about ready to slip from his hands when someone finally speaks to him. It felt like forever of him standing up there after his introduction.

"Alright, then." It's Simon. "Let's hear what you have for us today."

Harry nods his head and gets in to position. There's a mic stand off to the side, and he almost has the urge to rush over and get it. He briefly looks over at it, contemplating on if it's the right choice, and ends up catching sight of his boyfriend and family off stage. Louis seems to know what he's thinking and subtly shakes his head no. Always so in tuned with what's going on in Harry's mind. The mic stand is just a distraction, a tool for Harry to remain in his shell. The whole point of the competition is to push his boundaries, to free this musical side of him and not hold anything back. With a microphone in his hand, he's able to be free, not restricted.

They've practice many times without a mic stand. Louis knows it's just a case of nerves that are finally rising to surface in Harry.

Louis motions for Harry to take a big breath, always being the best supporter. Harry does as told and looks at the audience again. It's silent, save for a couple people who cough to fill the void. Counting in his head to three, Harry finally raises the microphone to his mouth and belts out the first lyric to the song, no instruments to follow. All rawness and purely his voice.

"Isn't she lovely?

Isn't she wonderful?"

As his voice echoes across the entire room, everyone in the audience jumps to their feet and cheers. Even some of the judges chime in on the cheering. Simon remains in his seat, but there's a bright smile that stretches his lips. The positive reaction builds Harry's confidence, and his voice gets stronger as each verse passes. He's moving more freely on the stage, not remaining in stiff throughout the entirety of the song.

Louis smiles widely as he watches from the side. It was his idea for Harry to sing without any music behind him. He knew Harry's voice was strong and had so much range. Often time the loudness of the instruments could mask the powerfulness of the vocals. If Louis were to close his eyes and focus on the beautiful sound of Harry's singing, he wold think he's listening to an angel. Someone with such a light and airy voice, able to nail a falsetto or drop to a nice bass. Everything about Harry is so wonderful and raw, and Louis couldn't be more proud of his boy singing up there.

After Harry is finished singing, he receives two yes' from the judges to continue in the competition, one of them being Simon freaking Cowell. He's giddy as he jumps off the stage, hearing the roar of the audience behind him. Anne and Gemma reach him first, wrapping Harry in a big hug and spinning around in celebration. They're laughing and crying, showing off the shirts they made to support Harry's audition. Robin is next, pulling Harry in a side hug and kissing the top of his head. They all exchange their proudness and excitement with Harry before they know it's Louis' turn to do so.

It's so easy the way Harry always migrates to him. Like they're some kind of magnet to each other. Louis has his arms already open when Harry turns to him, a bright dimpled smile on his face as he laughs and jumps against his boyfriends chest. Louis' arms wrap tight around his waist, and he lifts his boyfriend in the air to properly spin him around in a circle, kissing his face and feeling Harry's laugh go straight to his heart.

"You did it, baby. I'm so proud of you." Setting Harry to his feet, Louis cups the side of his face, features softening now that the high is wearing off. They stand there together, arms wrapped around each other. Harry's smile is taking over his entire face, and it's Louis' favorite kind to look at. He smiles in return, having the urge to lean in and kiss Harry again, proper, this time.

As they pull back, the tears have really surfaced on Harry. Chuckling, Louis begins wiping them away.

"Thank you for being here with me," Harry ends up whispering, softly as he notes his family getting closer to them. "And for believing in me."

"I'll always believe in you, love."

Harry scrunches his nose up, in that cute adorable way he does any time Louis says something sweet. Just as the others join in on their moment, Louis shifts to Harry's side, allowing for Gemma to slide up on the other side of him.

"This is the start to something great, sweetheart," Anne says proudly, wiping away the tears building up in the corner of her eyes.

"I know. I can't wait." Harry turns to face Louis again, nibbling on his bottom lip as they lace their fingers together tightly. Louis blows him a kiss.

And the thing is, Anne is right. Harry passing through the first round of the competition is the start to something great. To something new.

Unfortunately, though, this would also be the start to the end of something. 

---
Here's another story I will be posting. This one will have a lot more angst than the others. But I like the idea for it.

I hope you enjoy this. Please comment and vote, it'll make me so happy.

Thank you all (: