Starting a New Life

"Is it ok if I ask you a few questions?" The doctor asked me.

"Sure." I said.

"What is your full name?"

"Ariana Winchester."

"How many siblings do you have?"

"One."

"What's his name?"

"Michael...I think."

"Do you remember when your parents died?"

"I- I don't know."

"They died over two years ago." The doctor said. I couldn't believe I didn't even remember when my parents died.

"Last question, how old do you think you are?" I thought about the question for a few minutes.

"15." I finally said. The doctor looked worried.

"Ariana, you're 20 years old." The doctor said. I didn't believe him. The last thing I remember was my 15th birthday party. I remember how happy I was. I remember seeing my parents and Michael wishing me a happy birthday.

"Are you done asking questions? Because I have a few questions for you. How is it possible that I'm 20? What happened to me? Why can't I remember anything!" I yelled.

"Calm down. I know this is hard for you but you should be happy you survived. You don't remember lots of things because you have amnesia."

"What? Will I ever get my memory back?"

"We're not sure. There are many people waiting outside the room waiting for you, would you like to see them?"

"Yes." I carefully got off the hospital bed. When the doctor finally opened the door I saw Michael, Megan, Luke, and this other boy all waiting for me. Michael and Megan were sleeping but Luke was still awake. He ran up to me and hugged me so tightly. Luke was one of my close friends. I had a huge crush on him when I was in third grade but it went away when I realized he wasn't attracted to girls. He has perfect blonde hair and deep blue eyes.

"I'm so happy you're ok! You have no idea how worried I was about you." He said.

"Umm...thanks?"

"We were all waiting for you all day." Luke said but I wasn't listening to him. I kept looking at the mystery boy. He just woke up and stared at me. His hair was all messy and it looked like he just cried for hours.

"Who is he?" I whispered to Luke.

"You seriously don't know who he is? That's Calum, your-"

"Your best friend." Calum said, joining our conversation. I have to admit, he was really cute. It annoyed me how I didn't remember anything about him, he seems like a really cool guy.

"Well, hello Calum." I said with a smile. He smiled back at me but I could tell it was a fake smile. His eyes were watery and he looked like he was about to cry.

"Are you alright?" I asked him. Before he was able to answer my question I heard Michael and Megan's voices.

"Ariana?" They said in unison as they ran up to me and hugged me tightly. The last thing I remember was hating Megan because it was so obvious that she was just using me to get close to Michael. So many girls have a crush on Michael. I honestly don't even know why so many girls like him all he does is dye his hair every week and try to act punk rock.

"Hey guys." I awkwardly said. They both looked so happy to see me. I smiled back at them pretending that I was happy to see them too but I wasn't. All I wanted to do was go home. I went back to my doctor.

"Is it ok if I go home now?" I asked.

"No way!"

"Please!" I tried my best to beg him to let me go back home.

"Fine. If you really want to go back home you could go but you have to visit us every two weeks to see how you're doing." The doctor said.

"Of course!" I said with excitement. I turned my head to Calum who looked the happiest to see me. "So, who's going to take me home?" I looked around the room and everyone was silent. They all looked at each other as if I lost my mind.

"I'll take you home." Calum said as he stood up. To be honest I didn't really trust him that much. It was like he was a stranger to me. I nodded my head and followed him outside. It was weird because I didn't have any memory of him. I remembered his name but that was it. Calum took me to his motorcycle and gave me a pink helmet. There was so many questions I wanted to ask him. We both stayed quiet as he took me home. I was surprised I was even friends with this guy. He barley talked to me. Finally he stopped in front of an apartment.

"I don't remember living in an apartment." I said

"Well, there's lots of things you don't remember." He said as he showed me where to go. The room was small and was messy. There was no way I actually lived here. He showed me where my bedroom was. The entire room was pink but I hated pink. I sat on my bed and stared at the ceiling.

"I know how hard this must be for you. It sounds terrible to lose your memory." Calum said as he sat right next to me.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"When I was going through hard times I used to smoke, drink, and do drugs all the time."

"Do you still do those stuff?"

"Of course not. Two years ago I met this girl. She taught me how to love and how to enjoy life. She changed my life. She's the only reason why I stopped smoking, drinking, and taking drugs."

"That's great! I'm happy that you found someone special." I said. I was surprised how he opened up to me. I saw him holding a ring.

"Who's that for?" I asked.

"Oh, It was suppose to be for my girlfriend. I was thinking of proposing to her." He answered

"What did she say?"

"I didn't ask her yet."

"Well...what are you waiting for!"

"I-" he paused. "I don't think she loves me anymore."

"What! What makes you think that?" I said. He didn't say anything. He didn't even look at me. All he did was stare at the beautiful diamond ring. Finally he got up and went in my closet. I thought it was creepy that he was going through my closet until he pulled out a diary.

"You used to write in your diary everyday. You should read what you wrote, you might remember a few things." Calum said as he handed me the diary. I started at the blue diary. I don't remember having a diary.

"Thanks but I think I'll pass." I said as I threw it on my bed.

"Why?"

"The best part about having amnesia is that everything in the past doesn't matter anymore. The only way for me to start a new life is by throwing away my old one." I said.