Chapter 4: Rejected. But That's Your Fault

When I spun around. I shot out of bed.

Luke.

Why am I in bed and not downstairs on the couch by our books from our studying? How did I get up here? I screamed, and slapped Luke so hard across the face, he had rolled off the bed and I heard a 'bang' from something that had fallen. He got up and tugged at the hem of his shirt and gave me a what-the-hell look. He threw his sketch book on the bed and positioned it so I couldnt see the inside. Someone's over protective of his objects. But, he isn't over protective with people thats for sure.

"Why the hell am I in bed with you? What did you do to me?" I yelled. He looked shocked, seeing I wasn't happy. Well, he better wake up from his fantasy because, this level of the game is undefeated. He still hasn't answered me and I have been getting unpatient, me balling my shirt in my fists, "ANSWER ME YOU JERK!" I screamed, on the verge of tears.

"I-I was... I-I felt bad letting you sleep on the couch. But, I d-didn't do anything, I promise. I wouldn't do that. I carried you up from downstairs and layed you down and tried to keep my distance. But, I couldn't help it-"

"Help what, Luke?"

"I couldn't help but see how peaceful you looked when you were sleeping. Like a angel sent down from heaven. I put my arm around you... and fell asleep. I'm sorry and I know a devil like me and an angel like you don't mix well but-" I cut him off by storming out of the room and slamming my bed room door shut. I stood on the other side and heard him slide down the door and sighing. "Everything doesn't make sense when I'm around you Claire." He whispered.

"No... This is just your little game, Luke. Once you had your fun, you're going to leave me." I said back.

"But, maybe I can change..." He said back

"Until then, just keep pretending like I am a level..."

***

Out of all the times I have been in the hall today, 99% of the time, Luke had tried to talk to me. That other 1%, that was when I was to quick and had already made it to my next class. I refused to look at him more than a second. What he did, the feeling of rejection I am giving him, is his fault not mine. I may be just another girl, but I am different. I don't melt when I look into his blue eyes or the playful smirk that plays on his lips when he sees everyone looking at him like he's an angel. I am weird, but I am right. I've seen it many times before. Either him breaking up with her over a text or email, a phone call or video chat, or even in person at school. But I'm next on his list. Why can't I just be lucky for once with my pot of gold on the other side of the rainbow? I am in my class, the one where Luke sits next to me. He passed me notes every second saying 'I'm sorry' or 'You look pretty today, but you look pretty everyday.' I glanced at every one, seeing a new message everytime, but ripped it up into little pieces after the message was read. He can't just take a girl who is vulnerable and peacefully sleeping and carry her up to bed and sleep with her, letting her wake up wondering where she is. He's going to learn his lesson if he wants me. When the bell rings, I rush out of class, not looking over my shoulder to see if he is behind me. I open my locker, throw my books in and grab my lunch.

That's when I realize Luke had grabbed my wrist telling me to 'wait'. I turn to look at him with a disapproving look.

"I'm sorry okay? I can't deal with not talking to you." He said with a pleading look in his eyes, "Just please listen to me, I didn't mean to cause uncomfort-". I turn to the person now standing behind me and realize Jade is standing there, smiling.

"What's going on? Anything I-" I quickly pulled her towards the lunch room and told her I was mad ot Luke and didn't want to speak to him. I told her the story of last night and today's morning. The whole time she just listened, not saying a peep like she usually does.

"And why is this bad? He carried you up the stairs like you were a delicate plate of china..." She said, "I'm tell you, he's falling for you. See, our plan is working." She said laughing. I turned to her and showed her a 'sick-eye' twitching it a bit.

"But, I don't think I can deal with this any longer. He's so annoying and he's like my shadow, Jade."

"So, what's your point? Maybe he has changed. He's chasing after you."

"For his game..."

"Maybe it's not the sort of game he's playing at with you. Maybe its a game of when-will-she-forgive-me?-I'm-desperate."

"He's not desperate, Jade."

"Is too!"

"Is not!" I shout, shoving her shoulder a bit.

"Fine, believe what you want to believe... oh and that kid...whats his name," She questioned, tapping her chin, "Oh yea! Riley wants to go out with you. He says you have a nice personality and is beautiful and wants to hang out with you sometime..." She looks excited.

"What happened to Luke?" I asked, stunned that she changed the topic so quickly.

"Well, if you don't like Luke, then you have to go fishing for other fishes right?" Jade said

"What the hell does that even mean?"

"I dont even know, sista..."

***

"Fine explain..." I said to Luke, turning around

"Really?!"

"You look like a kid who just got a puppy on Christmas Day." I said laughing.

"Okay, well, I don't know. I just usually don't get peaceful sleeps anymore. With you, it was almost like I was floating on a cloud. Your body fit perfectly into mine and it was, I don't know, comfortable I guess. I carried you into the room, put you into the covers and you didn't wake up once... I just want a real friend. Please Claire."

"Fine." As soon as I finished that word, he went in and hugged me. He held on like if he let go, I would run away again. A bone-crushing hug, and after awhile, I hugged him back.