The First Show

Blaire's POV

I watch as the men unload our cages, and pulling us off the large shelves and dropping us to the ground. Raze let out a yelp as his cage was tossed, bruising his hind leg.

The trainers are very gentle with Asha, lowering her slowly onto a big cart of two other tigers, both males. The circus breeds their animals, but Almost all of Asha's litter died. Only her and Antonio, her brother, survived.

The two other tigers, Alex and Arlo, are also loaded onto the cart. Alex is very quiet, but also defiant. He rarely ever does what the trainers want him to do.

Arlo, on the other paw, is a suck-up. A trainer's pet. An insolent, vain, prick. He's also completely honest, and protective of Asha.

My crate is loaded on top of Arlo's, and Raze is thrown on next to me. He growls as his bruised leg hits the side of the cage.

The cart sudenly lurches forward, bumping along the ground. Soon, we're under the colorful tents of the circus.

Soon, we're unloaded from the cart, our cages opened, and put into our pens. A couple hors later, we're pushed into the ring.

New Yorkers crowd the stands, eager for the show. I see ahead of me a small flaming hoop.

I crouch down, waiting. The trainer whips the ground, and I spring forward.

The ground rushes past my feet, the crowds cheering. I spring forward, vaulting through the hoop without a burn.

Thw crowd cheers, and the trainer and I take a bow. I pad back behind the curtain, proud of myself.

Then, I realize. One jump.

My whole act, my whole life, has been jumping through a flaming hoop. Once.

Only once.

5 Hours Later

I'm trying to remember my mother. I remember that she spoke my name before I was torn away from her.

They call her Diamond. She must have been beautiful then.

I wonder what happened to her.