Tele!

I crept silently through the forest. I could hear the faint echoes of the human-speak far behind me. My pelt itched, and I felt as if I was being watched. The forest leaves rustled overhead. I slowly trekked through the forest until I reached the edge of the grassland. The tall stalks of grass whipped back and forth as a strong wind blew past. Dark storm-clouds had gathered near the city. I parted my jaws, taking in the sweet scent of the grass, and the tang of humans and metal. Through the tall grass, I could see the faint outlines of humans. They seemed to be searching for something. 

I backed toward the forest. They were obviously trainers. I tried to make out King among them, but they all seemed the same. They were spreading over the grass, slowly moving my way. I crept along the border of the forest, staying low. My bright white-ish pelt would stand out against the tan and brown grass stalks. I could now hear the trainers. Their feet clumped heavily on the sodden ground.

I froze when a voice called out. It was laced with icy calm. I recognized it immediately: King. His voice sent shivers down my spine. 

I hazarded a peek over the grass, and saw King close by. He was standing by a big human machine, the kind that ran fast and carried humans inside them. He was speaking urgently to the humans inside. 

As I listened, a curt female voice issued from inside the machine. I could make out some of her speech. She seemed to be saying "No lion.", but the human-speak seemed all garbled together. Whatever she said, it displeased King, whose icy calm quickly evaporated into anger. He growled at the human before turning away and striding toward a tall trainer standing nearby. As they spoke, I was so intent on listening to their conversation I didn't hear the trainer coming up behind me.

Too late, I whirled around as he raised the whip above his head and struck me in the face. I yowled in pain, and barreled him over. He screamed when my claws raked down his arm. As he writhed in pain, I shot toward the forest, already the other trainers were hot on my tail. They shouted and threw their crops and whips at me. Something small shot by my head, followed by more yelling.

I was at the border to the forest when a sharp pain shot through my side. I yowled and crumpled, my legs giving way. I coughed up a globule of blood. The trainers were closing in as I struggled to my paws. I began loping deeper into the forest, a thin trail of blood flying out behind me. As I got deeper, the trainer's sounds got quieter and quieter. I knew they would pick up my trail, but I continued, dragging my paws along.

My vision began to cloud as I trooped farther and farther, which is why I didn't notice the trees thinning. Eventually, I found myself entering into the grasslands again. It seemed as if a sea of grass were spread before me, the only break was a tall stone far off. As I stumbled into the sea of brown stalks, and excited yowl startled me.

I prepared for a fight, claws out, tail lashing, but what emerged from the grass was no enemy. It was Tele! He was still small and wiry, but he was also lean and muscular. The excitement in his eyes turned to worry when he saw the long cut that stretched across my side. I mumbled "Tele...happy to..see you." Before my vision went dark and Tele's worried face faded away.

________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry this chapter so short. I had a big event today, so I didn't have much time to write.

If you did enjoy the chapter, remember to leave a comment!

-Vixen