The Wild

I sleepily looked up at the mesh cage surronding me. I pushed myself to my paws and padded over to see if Blaire was awake.

She was. She sat alert at the entrace to her cage, waiting. She always seemed to be waiting for something.

As I walked forward, her ear twitched and she said, "Good morning, Raze"

"Yeah, good morning. What are you waiting for?" I replied.

"Many things. But today, I wait for King. He bought new whips and things. Anil told me how he was losing that money stuff." She said.

I looked out toward the training circle. I could see new, shining whips ready for us. I shivered at the thought of it.

I turned back toward Blaire. The rising sun shine through a hole in the circus tent, and it shone down on her, casting her in a majestic light.

Blaire had never known the wilds like I had. I wondered what it was like, to never feel grass under you're paws as you chased after prey through the open savannah.

Blaire turned toward me, and I looked into her eyes. They were the most lightest blue I had ever seen. In fact, they were almost white, but still shone with a fierce fire.

I wondered what it was like to have a mate. To catch prey for her. To feel the pride in our cubs. As I looked at Blaire, I knew that I wanted her to be my mate.

She was so strong and fierce. But I could never raise cubs in a deplorable condition like this. So, I put the thought to the back of my mind, where I could fantasize about it later.

Blade had just walked to the divider between his and Blaire's pen. Blaire had just filled him in on King's new whips and such. He looked horrified at the prospect of it.

"Well be as good as dead by the time we leave this wretched city!" He yowls.

"No. We won't die. Not here. We deserve better. We deserve to be free, all of us." Blaire said.

"I spoke with Anil last night. She thinks she knows a way to get us out." She continues.

"Anil believes that once the circus gathers enough money to go on some sort of world tour, she'll come with. She will tell us when it reaches a place called...Africa. Then, we escape. The only problem is that it could take years."

"I say, once we're on the train again, we go free. Anil will come with us once we leave again in a few days. We deserve ro be free." She finishes.

At that moment, King walks into my field if vision. I suppress a whimper of fear as he picks up the whips.

"But first, let's get through this training." Blaire says.