Chapter 2: The Girl

The lights of the car continued to cut through the darkness when suddenly the appearance of a little girl in a yellow sundress and pigtails manifested itself on the road in front of them. Scott hit the breaks hard as he and Reggie's heads narrowly bounced off the dashboard. Behind them, however, Anna wasn't as lucky. Not being secured to anything she lost her balance and got launched forward hitting the windshield with her hands extended out as the glass shattered around her. Reggie and Scott could only watch as her body flew out the window, rolling across the asphalt. The bones in her arms and hands likely shattered with breaks as her body came to a hard stop on the road. The little girl was nowhere in sight.

"Oh fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck."

The boys unlocked the seat belts and threw open the car doors, before running to Anna's side. They rolled her over on to her back as her hands fell to either side of her. Large glass shards stuck out from her palms.

"We need to stop the bleeding."

"Here."

Reggie took off the black hoodie and ripped it in half, giving A piece of it to Scott, as they both started wrapping up her hands.

"Stay with us, Anna."

"Yea stay with us, you're going to be okay."

"Mmm."

Anna withered in pain, thankfully she wasn't dead. The boys finished tying up her hands before looking at there surroundings. Behind them, the car was almost in a ditch, and on either side was the mountains.

"Bro, please tell me you saw that?"

"The little girl? Yea I saw her."

"What do we do now man? We can't just leave Anna like this and we sure as hell can't bring her to a hospital since we're wanted criminals."

"Shut up I'm thinking."

As if on cue, a high pitched howl echoed down the valley. One after another the frightening cries flooded their ears. They would be surrounded by the approaching pack in minutes if they didn't act fast.

"C'mon let's get her to the safe house."

Being ever so careful with the girl they lifted her onto her feet. She was semi-conscious, as they managed to get her arms around their shoulders and drag her into the abandoned town. Being here a couple days prior, Scott had set up the safe house as far down the main street as he could, however, he didn't expect to be supporting a one hundred and twenty-pound girl on his shoulder with his best friend.

It didn't take long for it to dawn on them that, the town was scarier at night as the boarded windows of the shops didn't let anyone see in or out. The wood frames surrounding them were peeling off the walls as shattered glass lined the sidewalks from the occasional smashed out window. This was it, they had nowhere else to go.

Half an hour of struggling passed as they finally managed to get to the town hall building that sat opposite of the intersection leading to the edge of the lake. Scott and Reggie pushed the double doors open and dragged Anna in with them, and placed her on the beaten down couch that was already inside.

Miraculously, the glass lodged in her palms had blocked the bleeding as the final little bit dripped out of the soggy hoodie halves. She was barely clinging on to life now as Reggie sat down beside her and Scott looked out the window keeping an eye out on the town.

"So what do we do now Scott? I can't just sit here and watch Anna die?"

"Shut up, Regg. I need to think. First, we got to get the money in here. So I'll go back out and get it. You stay here with Anna. Then we'll come up with a real plan."