Chapter 22

Chapter 22

My mother’s locket danced in my hands as I rotated and probed at it with my fingers. I was currently sitting cross-legged on my bed, while A lounged in my swivel chair on the other side of the room. He had refused to let me turn the light on, so we were sitting in the dark, the only light coming from the glow of the moon through the window. “So this guy that you work for, who is he?” I asked.

“I don’t work for anyone,” he replied, crossing his arms.

“No need to get all defensive. Who was he then?”

A sighed. “He goes by the name Deucalion. He’s the leader of one of the biggest gangs of this city—”

“Wait, Deucalion? Like in Teen Wolf?”

“Uh, I guess—”

I couldn’t help it. I burst out laughing. “Oh my god, that’s some weird-ass nickname. He sounds like a drama-obsessed freak.”

“Yeah, well, you’ve seen him. He may be a freak but he’s a powerful freak.”

“More powerful than you?” I added, raising a playful eyebrow.

“Don’t go there, Cupcake. You’re walking on dangerous ground here.”

I rolled my eyes. “Fine, grumpy pants. Why are you working for, but not working for, him then?”

“Because I need a favor from him.”

I waited for him to elaborate, but he didn’t. “What was the favor?”

“Sorry, Cupcake, but it’s personal. That’s one thing I’m not telling you.”

“And your identity?”

“That’s another. I guess you’re not as painfully stupid as I thought.”

I rolled my eyes. “Hah hah. Wait, why does he want this necklace in the first place?”

“That’s what I don’t know.”

I raised an eyebrow in suspicion. “Really? You don’t know?”

“No, Cupcake, I really don’t know,” he mocked.

 “Well…are you going to find out?”

I heard a sigh. “Why do I get the feeling that you’re not going to leave me alone after this.”

“Shut up. Maybe I feel like helping you fight bad guys.” Somehow, a smile found its way into my voice, making me sound cheery.

A cough erupted from his side of the room, but soon turned into a round of chuckles. “Help me fight bad guys? Sweetheart,” he soothed, like I was a four-year-old. He rose from his seat, the chair spinning behind him, and approached me on my bed, taking a seat in front of me on it. His weight caused the mattress to dip considerably, in turn causing me to lean forward toward him. One gloved hand reached up to brush the hair out of my face, while his lips neared my ear. “Sweetheart,” he repeated, biting down on my earlobe, “I am the bad guy.”

I didn’t even have time to process his words before I felt the jagged edge of cold metal against the back of my neck. A knife.

The sudden thud of the front door closing below had my eyes going wide. My aunt was home.

“I’m giving you one week to open that thing, or there will be a fucking bullet in your brain. Don’t test me.”

The edge of the knife slid slowly across my skin, thankfully not deep enough to make a cut, until it disappeared, along with its psychotic owner out the window.

My aunt suddenly burst through the door, and I quickly tried to compose myself. “Honey, why are you sitting in the dark?” she questioned, switching on the light and narrowing her eyes.

“Er, I had a headache. The light was giving me a headache.” I smiled at her, hoping I was a good enough liar.

“Alright, well I was just at the store and I bumped into one of your friends from school! He wanted me to give you something,” she said, happily handing me a small piece of neatly folded paper. “I think it’s his phone number,” she whispered, winking.

Hah, doubt it. “He?”

“Yeah, I think his name was,” she paused scratching her head. “Oh! Landon! His name was Landon! He seems like such a nice boy. And he’s cute! You should invite him over sometime, Violet.”

Landon? “Uh, oh yeah, sure.” I smiled at her, silently pleading for her to leave.

She smiled back at me, a motherly glint in her eyes. “Okay, honey. I’ll just leave then. Don’t stay up too late!” Just as she was closing the door, her head popped back in my room. “Oh, and Landon told me not to tell you that he gave me the note. I think he just wanted you to guess who it is or something. So don’t mention that I told you!”

As soon as she had left, I looked down at the piece of paper in my hands. What could this be? I unfolded it, once, twice, until it had enlarged into a much larger sized paper. My eyes stuck to the words immediately—they were written in red ink.

I suddenly dropped the paper, terrified. It floated with ease to the floor, lying there innocently but mockingly.

Be careful who you play with. I’ve got the eyes of a hawk.

---------------------------------------

Bipolar much? :P

What did you think of the note? And Landon?

Comment and vote please! :)

-Dream