Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Please vote, comment, etc.

enjoy

*******************************

Jessica's point of view

---------------------------

Happy pulled up to Burger King as pepper made calls and emails trying to find an area for my dad's sudden press conference.

My dad hated press conferences why all of a sudden did he want to get involved with the press?

I have no idea.

Anyway happy pulled into the car lane and asked my dad what he wanted.

" Get me eight cheeseburgers and what do you want Jess?" he asked suddenly. I opened my mouth in surprise before answering

" I don't want anything. I'm not hungry." I replied after a moment.

"Your underweight and you look like you haven't slept the entire time I was gone. Happy get her a cheese burger also. So that's nine cheese burgers. Pepper you want anything?" he asked

"No" she replied not lifting her head.

"Dad I'm really not-" I tried again

"Please for me?" He asked with puppy dog eyes staring me down. I inwardly groaned.

"Fine. " I muttered unhappily.

"By the way did you not think I would notice how exhausted you look?" he asked sarcastically.

" I was hoping you wouldn't. " I muttered.

"Tough luck kiddo. " He chuckled.

"Yeah that seems to be the case most of the time" I whispered as I looked down at my hands.

He reached over and rubbed my shoulder while giving me a warm smile that made my heart melt.

"I missed you" I said as happy passed us a bag filled with cheese burgers.

"Right back at cha Jess" he said with a mouth full if cheese burger.

"Ew don't speak with your mouth open." I commented.

"Eat your cheese burger." he said seriously. I sighed in frustration and started eating my cheese burger.

I managed to eat half of it before we showed up to where the press conference would be held. when my dad saw I only had eaten half of my burger he looked upset. I looked away from him and decided to just be quiet when he pulled me into a hug.

"It's alright. I understand." he muttered and gave me another warm smile. I gave a half smile and looked out the window noticing all the press that were already their taking photos as my dad opened the door.

I slipped on my sunglasses and followed him out the door, plastering on a sweet smile on my way out.

Obie stood outside the door and he pulled me into a side hug that seemed very tense. I ignored it and hugged his torso as he walked us in while making idle chitter chatter. I noticed my dad still had his Burger King bag. I sighed for like the billionth time today.

We enter the press conference room and my dad asked everyone to sit down before he started his speech. I sat down next to him before he started and he looked at me with sad eyes before looking out at the crowd.

"I never got to say goodbye to my father." He paused and looked at me again.

"There's questions I would've asked him. I would've asked him how he felt about what his company did, if he was conflicted, if he ever had doubts. Or maybe he was every inch of man we remember from the newsreels. I saw young Americans killed by the very weapons I created to defend them and protect them. And I saw that I had become part of a system that is comfortable with zero-accountability." He stopped and I took a shaky breathe as tears welled up in my eyes.