p r o l o g u e

PROLOGUE
( HEART )

     BRAYDEN SLOUCHES INTO her desk at the back of the classroom

     BRAYDEN SLOUCHES INTO her desk at the back of the classroom. She huffs loudly as she pulls a notebook and pen from her backpack, proceeding to flip to a blank page and stare forward at the chalkboard.

Riley Mathews steps into the room with Maya Hart by her side, followed by Farkle Minkus, Isaiah Babineaux, and Lucas Friar. The girl slides down into her seat, lying her head on the wall behind her.

Brayden watches as they all sit at the front, chattering lightly like they do on a daily basis. It was nothing new that they were tied down in each other- that's the way it had always been. Their friendship was truly close, and something that the girl had looked for in someone. But in the long run, she knew nothing such as friendship would last after high school was over.

After finding herself in high school, in her Junior year, she had decided that school friends wouldn't matter. In less than a year, the five would most likely split up, and choose their own paths as they got accepted into different colleges. And although phone calls could inform them of their lives, it would never truly keep them together.

Eventually they would cut themselves off and find new friends, starting their new lives with only memories of the school. Friends didn't matter, although they were good to have. None of the five in front of her would be together forever. That wasn't the way the world worked.

Cory Mathews, the teacher of every school year Brayden had, steps into the room, looking quite hesitant as he stood in front of the chalkboard. He sighs as he leans onto his desk, clasping his hands together as if he were having a debate in his mind.

Unlike every normal day, he didn't have a game plan or a lesson to teach. Instead, he decided earlier on that morning that he would stray from his plans. Today, he would separate the main five from each other, and go a different route.

"Today isn't usual," Cory speaks up, catching the attention of the class. "Instead of individual lessons, I'm going to be pairing you up with another student to complete a two week project over a war of your choice."

Brayden furrows her eyebrows, sitting up at his words.

"Maya," Riley smiles, looking to her friend that sits beside her.

"Peaches," Maya replies, returning her smile.

"Not today," Cory cuts them off abruptly. "We're trying something new. I'm pairing you  with a different student. Someone you wouldn't expect- not in your friend group."

"But sir-" Lucas starts, immediately cut off by the teacher.

"I believe that you depend on each other too much," their teacher continues. "You think that no matter what, you'll always have the same friends by your side through everything. But what happens when you don't?"

"It's not possible that you have the same friends through everything, sir," Farkle says, taking a glance over at Maya and Riley. "And to answer your question . . . you have to deal with it."

"Exactly," he points out. "And I'm here to help you make the change. You are on your way to becoming adults, you had to have known that at some point you would have to face this challenge."

"I guess we just didn't want to," Riley mutters, her eyes on her desk as she frowns.

"Now, I want you to work with your partner to prepare a speech for the war that you choose. Because you'll need to do plenty of research, I feel like two weeks is enough to pull the speech together."

"What is the point in a speech?" Zay questions, shifting in his seat.

"Conversation, social contact," Cory shrugs. "You have to talk about it. Not just one of the partners can pull it together and the other know nothing of it. That'll be proved as you present."

"So no Riley?" Maya asks softly.

"And no Maya?" Riley copies.

"No Maya, no Riley," he states. "I'm sorry girls, but you'll be working with someone else on this project."

"So who are our partners?"

"I want you to partner with some faces I rarely see," Cory steps up, his eyes roaming the back of the classroom. "Riley, I'd like for you to work with Alyssa Coleman."

A tall girl straightens in her seat, her deep blue eyes snapping to the teacher. He nods in response as Riley grabs her books, moving to take a seat next to the girl.

"Maya, you'll be working with Ryan Graham," he continues, pin pointing a boy with glasses. "And Zay, I'm pairing you with Ashley Greene."

The two move, sending glances as they move to their new seat for the next two weeks. Brayden tries her hardest not to snicker as Ashley scowls at Zay, scooting as far away from him as possible.

"Farkle, let's try Carter Terry." Cory says, continuing on as he looks to Lucas, then back to the remaining students. "And Lucas, your partner will be . . . "

The teacher trails off, his gaze landing on Brayden. She stiffens in her seat, shrinking down as he smiles lightly. "Brayden Toles."

"Mr. Mathews, I don't work very well with other students," Brayden speaks up, sitting up in her chair as her eyes find those of Lucas. "I'm sorry, but I can't-"

"Yes, you can," he nods his head, the smile not falling from his lips. "Trust me, Brayden. I know what I'm doing."

Lucas stares back at the girl, as if seeing her for the first time. Brayden looks at the teacher, before sighing deeply.

"Fine, I'll do it. But I won't enjoy this."

_______