t h r e e

CHAPTER THREE
( OPTION )

     BRAYDEN KNEW LUCAS was following her as they made their way into Mr

BRAYDEN KNEW LUCAS was following her as they made their way into Mr. Mathews' class, but she refused to look back at him. Even as they sat down together, she avoided his eyes, despite his attempts to gain her attention. Lucas wasn't sure what he had done wrong, but he was in desperate need to find out.

The girl pulled out her notebook, and began to do research on her phone as soon as the final bell had rang. Riley and the rest of the main group separated as soon as they walked in, each of them taking a seat next to their partner as they began to work. Lucas, however, seemed to not care about the project- his main focus was the black haired girl beside of him.

"Why won't you talk to me?" Lucas demands, a sigh leaving his lips as he runs his finger through his hair. "I'm sorry if I did something to offend you, but-"

"You didn't," Brayden says, her tone surprisingly soft. "Just don't worry about it, okay? We have work to do."

And, despite what he wanted- no, ached to do- Lucas nodded and grew quiet.

Brayden hated to admit it, but she had already begun to miss his voice. He was kind, no matter who his friends were. She enjoyed having someone that didn't give up on talking to her no matter how much she whined and complained. But she would never be friends with anyone else- it was a vow she had already made to herself.

Jotting down as many notes as she could, Brayden found herself pressing harder against her pencil. This was Allison's fault, she was the reason Brayden could no longer bother herself with getting involved. Aliyah ruined her.

A night several years ago, Aliyah had dragged Brayden along with her to a party. The girl was hesitant, but agreed when her best friend had pleaded with everything in her. Brayden was popular then, and had everyone on her side. She had the charm that her classmates loved, and no one could deny it. So it wasn't a surprise when she conversed at the party. Everything seemed okay.

It was, in fact.

But only until Allison shoved her into a boy that ruined everything she knew.

The pencil snaps underneath the pressure of Brayden's force, anger and frustration rising up within her. Brayden hadn't cried in a while, but she could feel the tears welling up in her eyes. Lucas noticed her pencil, looking over to Brayden.

"You okay?"

Her head spun- why would she allow Allison to control her? Because she had the power to break Brayden again, and she would do it in an instant.

"Yeah . . . I'm fine," Brayden dismisses, dropping the broken pencil onto the desk as she meets his eyes. "Listen, I . . . I think we got off on the wrong foot."

She was going to try her luck.

"Wait- really?" Lucas asks, his eyes brightening as Brayden relaxes with a nod. "Okay. Well, in that case, I think we should start studying in the library after school, if that's okay with you."

"Starting today?"

"Of course," he says. "I mean- only if you want to."

"I can do today," she says, a smile tugging at the edge of her lips.

Allison wasn't going to control her anymore. And it wasn't like one friend was going to hurt Brayden . . . would it?

---

Lucas sat across from Brayden at the lunch table, watching as she pulled a book from her bag and began to read. He cracked a grin, flicking the book to annoy her. Brayden placed it down, glaring at him as he sat back in his chair.

It was a surprise to all when Lucas decided to sit with her- everyone seemed to notice, including Riley. And there was no doubt in either of them that the whole cafeteria was beginning to talk about it. Brayden didn't seem to care, though, which was a shock in itself.

"You're trying my patience," Brayden says, her glare still intact. "Are you asking to get punched?"

"If I wanted to get punched, I'd literally ask," he points out, grabbing the book. "What is this, anyway? A book? Since when do you read?"

"Since I learned how," the girl snorts, swatting at his hand. "Give it back, Lucas."

"Actually, I think I'll keep it," Lucas tells her, closing it as he reads the back. "You should be conversing right now, not reading. Read in your free time."

"This is free time," Brayden states. "You're psychotic, just give me my book."

"I don't think so."

"Lucas."

"Brayden."

"May I have my book back?" She begs, holding out her hand. "Listen, I'm being as nice to you as possible. Consider it a favor."

"What's the magic word?" He arches an eyebrow.

"Please."

"It's actually 'gummy bears', but that works too, I guess," he shrugs, putting her book on the table. "I expect for you to talk to me, though. No more reading right now."

"Here I am, talking to you," Brayden says, rolling her eyes in the slightest. "I'm also making the effort to meet with you at the library, spending my free time to work on a project I could do at school."

"I'm proud of you for moving out of your comfort zone," Lucas smiles, showing her his pearly whites. "Maybe sometime this week you could come sit with Riley and I."

"That's too far," the brunette scrunched her nose in disgust. "Why don't we start off small? You can sit here with me during lunch, if that makes you feel any better."

"As long as you gravitate into society," the boy bargains, beginning to tap his fingers on the table. "It's easy to make friends, and you could use some."

"Easy for you to say. And besides, I already have a friend- one is all I need."

Lucas' eyes grew bright, his heart skipping a quick beat as he hides a smile from the girl. "You consider me a friend?"

"As long as you don't bother me too much, we can be acquainted," Brayden nods, running her fingers through her brown locks. "Maybe even after our project is over."

Brayden didn't want Lucas to get too close. Even as a friend, he was bound to be hurt when Allison finally spilled the truth; what she had tried to hide for so long. And after it was all over, what would happen then? Brayden would finish off her junior year at the school, then transfer as soon as possible.

But graduating early was another option. As long as she was far away from the truth, perhaps things could be okay again. Maybe then she would be able to stand in public without her anxiety taking an all-time high. Maybe then she could sit or stand next to a boy, without growing terrified and moving immediately.

Maybe then she wouldn't be able to feel the butterflies in her stomach every time she saw Lucas Friar.

_______