f i v e

CHAPTER FIVE
( DIFFERENT )

     BRAYDEN STARES INTO her mirror, counting backwards from ten

BRAYDEN STARES INTO her mirror, counting backwards from ten. She would try not to make a sudden decision, but it wasn't guaranteed. Her mother had questioned her early arrival home, but Brayden had went straight to her room and ignored all her mother's attempts to comfort. She didn't need anyone's help, and she certainly wasn't about to spill her life problems.

Soon enough, Brayden would be back in the school building with Lucas following her around. She didn't mind that Lucas would be there, but she wasn't ready to let go of the fact that he would compare her to someone better. Someone that could always be there for him when he needed it; someone that he was clearly occupied with.

The brunette fidgeted with a pair of scissors, aching to make a mess of something. She wanted a change, and knew exactly how to do it. Her left hand was on her wavy hair, and her right held her weapon of assault. Things were going to be different, and she would make sure of it. No more trying to make friends that wouldn't accept her.

With a frown, Brayden lifts the scissors, and begins to cut away at her beautiful locks. They fell to the floor silently, Brayden's eyes filling with tears as she continues. Her hair was filled with jagged edges that fell just above her shoulders when she was finally finished. The girl didn't cry, nor show a sign of weakness as she stared back at the girl in the mirror.

She was a stranger.

---

The brunette wakes up late the following morning, not bothering to be picky about her outfit or breakfast. Her mother quietly entered the kitchen just as Brayden was prepared to leave, her eyes wide in confusion. Elissa steps towards her daughter, reaching out a shaky hand to touch her clipped hair.

"Oh, honey," her mother says, shaking her head. "What happened last night?"

"I needed a change," Brayden replies clearly, swallowing back her pride. "And I guess this was the best way to do it."

Arriving at school wasn't much of a difference. It seemed that no one noticed her new appearance, nor did they care. She understood that she wouldn't truly get a reaction until she made it to history class . . . and then she would see Lucas. He would ask too many questions, comments on her hair, and apologize too many times to count. Despite what she wanted to admit, Brayden now knew Lucas Friar all too well.

But first, she would have to deal with Allison; who made the grand gesture of stopping her in the hallway before history class.

Allison's lips were covered in a red chalk that resembled lipstick. Her features were bunched together by the foundation that was all too tan for her skin. It was obvious the blush on her cheeks were fake; someone like her was never natural. Especially when no one in particular took a long look at her skimpy and forced wardrobe.

"New hair," Allison notices immediately, raising an eyebrow. "Would that have anything to do with Lucas Friar?"

"I don't have time for you right now," Brayden rolls her eyes, not at all self-conscious about herself. "Nor do I have time to listen to you complain about your life problems. So get on with it, I have a class to get to."

"A boy to get to," the blonde corrects her, clicking her tongue. "Tell me; are you still keeping secrets from your new friend?"

Brayden stayed silent, her gaze stuck on Allison. She wouldn't give in to anything the blonde said.

"Exactly what I thought. Just make sure you do soon, or you won't be having another study session in the library with Lucas."

Allison was gone after she finished her threats, two girls trailing behind her like lost puppies. Brayden wanted to scoff, but resisted the urge and entered the classroom in front of her just as the final bell rang.

The students began to take their seats, quieting down as a substitute made his way to Cory's desk. It was unusual for Mr. Mathews to be absent, let alone Riley being away, too. Brayden wouldn't ask questions, though, not really caring why they were gone. If she saw Riley, she might have had a breakdown.

Lucas was quick to catch Brayden's eye when he stepped into the room. The girl immediately drew her gaze away, and dropping it on the papers on her desk. Busy work that she would have to complete, all the while listening to Lucas. As if that were going to happen; she didn't need another distraction today. But as he grew closer, pulling his seat to her desk, she realized how hard it would be to ignore him.

"Your hair . . . " Lucas begins, scanning her face for any sign of a reaction. "You cut it. Would that happen to have anything to do with what I said yesterday?"

Brayden swallows her words, continuing on her assignment. His deep blue eyes burned holes into the side of her face, and she ached to look up; yet she stayed strong.

"I'm so sorry," he releases a heavy breath, running his hands through his hair, then down his face. "What I said was inexcusable, and I shouldn't be comparing you to anyone else. But I did, and I hope you'll forgive me."

But apologies didn't fix broken hearts; and she felt as though he was trying to place a band-aid over a crack in the earth. It didn't matter that he felt the slightest of guilt, because he wouldn't be by her side for very much longer. And even so, he would go crawling back to Riley every single time, no matter how hard Brayden tried.

"Everyone makes mistakes." The blond boy says, his hand grabbing her wrist and making her look into his eyes. "And even though I happen to make a lot of them, I don't want to lose you. We met- what? A few days ago."

Brayden nods to answer his question, listening as he goes on.

"Well, as a friend, I'm supposed to be there for you," he pauses. "I'm supposed to encourage you, and support you- not compare you to others. You're perfect, Brayden, despite what anyone else says."

The brunette's voice got caught in her throat for a short second, before she blurted, "Riley. Why, of all people, would you compare me to Riley?"

She knew the answer, but she needed to hear him say the words. She needed him to break her heart into a million pieces so that she could move on, graduate, and get far away from here. So that she could detach herself from the mess she had already pulled herself into.

Lucas looked as if he knew this question was coming, but was fearful of what she would say when he answered. Brayden prepared herself, already building a dam behind her eyes. She wouldn't let him see her cry. She wasn't weak.

The boy's grip relaxes on her wrist, and his eyes soften as familiar sparks erupt in his veins. Brayden would have forced his touch away, if it hadn't made her heart skip.

"The truth is, I've been fawning around Riley since I got here," Lucas admits. "And maybe I was supposed to; maybe that was how she and I were supposed to become friends. But now that I've met you, and I've grown to know you . . . now that you're here . . . "

He trails off, leaving Brayden stunned for a short moment before he finishes.

"I know that I was chasing after the wrong girl all along."

_______