Chapter Two

Unedited.

Cognate Separation course. It was only a thin book with a thick dark cover. Sophie dared not touch it.

"You could be councilwoman for only a short time...then you could go to being a representative, which will be equal to emissary." Emery had said. "It'd be a small sacrifice for a bigger gain." Were the words he had used. Sophie would be able to work as a representative. No petitions, no arguing, no debating, and no fighting. With the signing of a name she could have her dream.

Sandor set the book on her desk, and she sat at her desk. Staring at it, like a child would stare at vegetables. But to get her dream she'd have to sacrifice Fitz, she'd have to sacrifice what she had worked so hard to achieve. What they had worked for. Hesitantly, Sophie poked the book, as if to see if it were alive, and somehow causing the heavy dreading weight in her stomach. Sophie poked it again, moving it an inch, she sighed and pulled her notebook out of her desk, she decided to write.

Pros:
Dream job.
Being excused from Foxfire. (For a while.)

Sophie couldn't think of anything else so she decided to get back to it later.

Cons:
Fitzroy A. Vacker.
Bond break.
Not living at Havenfield.
No 'personal' relationships.
Public speaking.
Eye of attention.
Keeping the position, until it can be filled.
Long meetings.
Group decisions.
Headaches.

Clearly the cons outweighed the pros, but it was her dream job... Sophie stared at the book for so long her eyes started to sting because she hadn't blinked. She knew her decision.

~

"What is this about?" Wylie asked the next day as he walked in the dinning room, Edaline, Sophie and Grady hardly used. He looked at Grady and Edaline who were seated at Sophie's left. Sophie was to nervous to sit down, so she stood at the end of the table, clutching onto the back of her chair. Tam and Linh sat together, "Just have a seat." Sophie said, pointing at a seat. Wylie sat, the Dizznees were next to show up, then Keefe, and then the Vackers and Elwin. After everyone sat down, Sophie felt sick to her stomach.

Her palms felt clammy as she held onto the back of the chair. She glanced at Sandor who sat beside Grady. He knew about this already. He gave an encouraging nod. "I...was hailed by the council early yesterday morning." Sophie started. Clearing her throat she spoke. "They said they would open up a representative position for me." Sophie said in a stronger voice. "You don't look to haply about that." Kesler pointed out. "It was on one condition." Sophie's knuckles were white as she held on tight to the chair. "I met up with them yesterday, to talk." Sophie stared around at the faces of her friends. She looked at Sandor who pulled the...the thing from where he had set it beside his feet, he placed it in front of Fitz.

Fitz made a strangling noise as he gasped. "They want me to temporarily take up position as councilwoman for Alina." Sophie said, Fitz shoved the book away from him, as if it were a particularly gross bug. Grady tugged it over, his face became grave as he looked at title. "Sophie..." Edaline trailed off as she passed the book to Linh. The book made it's way back to Sophie. For the first time Sophie placed her finger tips on the cover.

It felt like ants had started crawling up her fingers, biting them as they went. "I've already made my decision." Sophie said. "This doesn't just involve you Sophie." Alden said, for once he looked angry. "My son is your cognate partner. You can't just-"

"A cognate bond can't be mended once it's broken, it can't be fixed or patched." Sophie interrupted. "And it can't be remade, or formed again." Her eyes scanned over the others, stopping at Fitz. "Quite frankly I love you to much to do that to you. To either of us." She said resting her hand on his shoulder. "I love you all, way to much to just cut everything off. I'm going to visit the council today."
She said looking at Grady and Edaline. "A dream that isn't fought for, isn't a dream worth living." She said. Everyone seemed to let out a relieved sigh but Fitz spoke and Sophie pulled her hand away from his shoulder.

"Take the job Sophie."

"What?" She asked. Fitz hesitantly tugged the book towards him. By his grimace he could feel the invisible ants as well. "It's your dream job Sophie. You haven't wanted anything more than you have that." Fitz said. "Fitz..." Sophie whispered as she sat down. "You'll be a council woman, think of what you could do with that." Fitz said, every word cutting like a knife. Not only to Sophie but to him as well. "You could actually do something about the treaties." Fitz said staring at the thin book. "You could actually probably succeed in making a full peace treaty with the ogres. You could access the files we need to catch the Neverseen, instead of having Dex break in." Fitz said. "What abo-" Sophie cut off as Fitz raised his eyes to her.

Pain. Sadness. Hurt. Hope.

The hope burned in his eyes, like fire. "What about us?" Sophie transmitted. "You said it'd be temporary." Fitz gave a small smile. "Exactly. Temporary isn't worth breaking the bond." Sophie said. Fitz's smile tugged up farther, he turned his hand over and opened it. Sophie didn't hesitate to take it. Fitz closed his eyes and let a memory slip through. It had been yesterday...after she had left.

"Knock knock." A voice came from Fitz's door. He had just talked to Biana, and was laying on his bed. Opening his eyes, he saw a tall elf with a gentle smile on her face. She had dark hair and gentle blue eyes. Fitz groaned and closed his eyes. "What do you want Ambra?" He asked. He heard the door close, but he couldn't find it in himself to get up and push Ambra out. "I wanted to say I'm sorry." He felt the bed sink as she sat next to him. "Apparently everyone is sorry." Fitz said. He jumped as a warm hand pressed on to his stomach. "No, I mean I'm really sorry." Ambra said. Fitz propped himself up on his elbows.

"Move your hand." He growled. Ambra did move it. She moved it, up to his chest. "I know you are waiting for somebody... But where is she now? If she really liked you, she would be here instead of me." Ambra said. "Stop." Fitz said grabbing Ambra's wrist, stopping her hand. Ambra smiled that coy smile again, she pulled her wrist out of Fitz's hand. She stopped. Fitz let out a breath closing his eyes, he had expected her to put up a fight. Then a soft sensation filled the emptiness inside of his chest, his eyes flew open. Ambra was kissing him. Pushing her away he stood up, wiping his mouth. "Get out!" He snarled. Ambra's eyes were wide with surprise, at his reaction. "I don't need this. I don't need you. Now get out, I don't want to see you again." Fitz growled. Ambra stood, her lips pursed. Fitz clutched the door handle ready to rip the door open, but Ambra had locked her arms around his neck, she pressed her lips to his.

"I know you need someone...please Fitz just let me be that someone." She whispered. Fitz felt tempted, really tempted, but he thought of Sophie and reaching up he carefully unwrapped the arms from his neck. "I have somebody." He said. Ambra let out a sigh, but stepped back. Finally giving up she reached for the door knob, before smiling. She reached up and pecked Fitz's cheek, with a smile she spoke "I'm not giving you up." She said before darting out of the room.

Sophie gasped and yanked her hand out of Fitz. "Take the job Sophie." Fitz said softly. "That tramping minx!" Sophie said slamming her fist on her the table, making everyone jump. "Wait what?" Fitz asked. "After I return this book, I'm going to personally hand her over to the dark elves after I skin her alive." Sophie growled yanking the book off the table. "Then we'll see if she gives up. And you!" She glared at Fitz. "You..." She grumbled before marching out of the room. Ambra would just have to see who she was dealing with, and it wouldn't be pretty.

(Ambra is so dead.)