Two

The next day would find Talila alone in the practice fields, practicing with her sword swings as her shield lay almost forgotten against a pole that help seal off the nearby training ring. As she practiced with her longsword, she almost did not hear footsteps approach. "Talila?" Cullen's voice held some surprise as Talila continued to practice her swings. "What are you doing here so early?"

"Really?" Talila inquired as she frowned at his question and stopped to take a breath and looked at him.

"Oh right." He rubbed the back of his neck, as he finally now took notice of the sword in her hand. He knew why she was there, and something in him wanted to test her metal, wanted to see just how good she was with her sword but then she sighed and sheathed her the blade as she was preparing to leave, her momentum had been interrupted and was lost. "Talila, before you leave..."

"Yes?" Talila looked towards Cullen who she noted had a slight pink tint to his cheeks.

Cullen looked slightly embarrassed now, and it peeked her curiosity. "Can I...Do you... May we speak for a moment?"

"Of course we may."

"Follow me if you will," he told her as she followed him to the battlements. Upon the battlements, they stood for a while neither saying anything to the other. "Talila, how... how are you holding up?"

"If you mean holding out to the pain of my withdrawal from lyrium, I've been better." Talila sighed closing her eyes. Since their conversation the day before, they had been close to avoiding each other and this was the first time that Cullen had asked to see and speak with her this day, though to be fair it IS early morning and this is a time he wouldn't normally see me at. She often felt the eyes of others upon her, but it was the group of warriors, who were called Templars, that lingered around, who were the worst as they somehow knew that she was having the issues of lyrium withdrawal, but now she looked to him. "Cullen, if I may ask: Why are you asking me about it? Are you afraid I won't be able to hold out?"

"Part of me does." He answered swiftly without missing a beat, "But part of me also knows that you can do it. But I don't want you to do it alone." he looked towards her as he leaned against the rampart.

Something in her found that quite attractive and she had to mentally slap herself to clear her thoughts. No Talila, the Commander is way out of your league. These kinds of thoughts are inappropriate. "Cullen, I...damn I don't know what to say." Talila looked away so he wouldn't see the hidden feelings she felt rising up in her, she was both surprised and afraid of the sudden thoughts she was having for the man, who most likely didn't realize the effect he was having on her. He doesn't know that I haven't experienced the true feelings of love, and how could he when I keep my past... Talila remained quiet for some time.

"Talila?"

She shook her head, "Give me a moment to think, please. My thoughts are scrambled at best right now." She looked at him her eyes showing that she really was scrambling to fix herself. Both she and Cullen could tell that the lyrium withdrawal was striking her in that moment and he stood from where he was leaning on the rampart and approached her cautiously. He reached out and gently pulled her into a hug, and this time she didn't shy away from his touch, though this sudden affection coming from him surprised her.

"Talila, you don't have to do this alone. I know your struggling, but please, let me help you." Cullen almost begged her in a quiet voice. He wasn't sure why he was acting so differently towards Talila, but if it would help her to trust him, then he would continue to do so.

Unconsciously she wrapped her arms around his neck, and buried her head into the fur around his shoulders as tears threatened to spill from her eyes as she felt his strong arms tighten around her. Cullen, I don't know what to think. But if your that willing to aid me then I guess I can try and let you help. Talila closed her eyes and just let him hold her for a while. She knew that this was only the beginnings of her struggle and that soon the signs of withdrawal would worsen. Cullen for his part was willing to just hold her; he could feel that this was what she really needed at this moment of time.