Eight

Talila bolted up wide awake, she looked over to see that Cullen was still dead to the world asleep, but as Talila looked around it suddenly hit her why she had woken and barely managed to race off of the bed and out onto the balcony before her stomach forced itself to empty whatever was in it from the day before. As she stood shaking, she felt Cullen's hand suddenly rubbing her back as he came to stand over her, trying his best to soothe her. It had been a year since the wedding, The Inquisition was now a peacekeeping group in service to Leliana who was the Divine and time seemed to pass slower but still Cullen and Talila remained at Skyhold to aid the Inquisitor whenever the help was needed, sadly a week ago that all changed for Talila when she had started to become ill without known reason. "Are you okay?" Cullen asked as Talila waited a bit before answering him.

"I think so." She said as he pulled her into his comforting embrace. They had found out that Talila was carrying their first child and Cullen had been thrilled beyond words, but then he had made it a point that Talila was no longer going to leave Skyhold without him accompanying her. She didn't argue, and while she was excited to meet her child she was just wishing the nine months would hurry up. So far she was only three months in and already she hated every minute of it, but having Cullen there to help her though it was worth every minute. He lead her back to the bed and held her close as they lay snuggled together, him with a single hand over her belly, since the discovery he had spent many nights like this and as each month passed Cullen proved each time just how excited and worried he was over both Talila and the growing child within her. Eventually the last month came, and Talila sat upon their couch watching Cullen pace. "Is something on your mind, love?" She asked as he looked to her.

"Nothing to concern yourself over," he smiled gently as he walked over to her. He kneeled down and placing his hands on her swollen stomach, a look of wonder, pride and peace come over him.

"It will be any day now that we will get to meet our child." Talila spoke as she placed a hand on her husband's cheek as his loving and gentle gaze turned to her. "I hope he or she will be like you." Cullen chuckled as he leaned forward gently to place a kiss on her lips.

"I'm sure there is going to be a mixture of us both." He whispered as he placed his forehead on hers, he soon stood and moved to sit behind her, letting her rest her back against his armored chest. He rubbed her arms and for the moment everything seemed perfect, well that was until Talila gasped in pain. "Talila?!" he asked worriedly as she shivered.

"I don't think our child wants to wait to meet us anymore." She managed through the sudden pain. Cullen was very careful as he got up and raced to get the midwife who came hot on his heels to get to Talila as the pains became worse.

****** 

Word had spread quickly to the others of Talila having gone into labor and everyone was worried. "It's been over six hours, I hope she's okay." The Inquisitor frowned as he crossed his arms, "Poor Cullen must be worried out of his wits."

"Cullen and Talila will be fine." Cassandra told him, but her fear was the same as his. A lot could go wrong with the birthing process and Talila was no exception to that rule. But four more hours later and the screaming cries of a child could be heard. "Looks like the newest member of the Inquisition has made his arrival."

"How can you tell that he's a boy?"

"I just can." Cassandra smiled as the midwife came out.

"It's a boy," She smiled and left with the group disbanding as eager as they were to meet the newest arrival they decided it would be best to give the new parents time to bond with their newborn son.

Cullen looked to Talila who held their little one close. He couldn't believe just how much happiness he was experiencing in this moment as pride swelled in his chest. He saw Talila look to him and he couldn't help but rest his forehead against hers as they sat together on the bed. "Do you want to hold him?" She asked as Cullen nodded. He took the little one from her gently, afraid to hurt the little one. But when his son's eyes opened he felt all his fear just vanish, the boy gurgled and Cullen could no longer describe what he felt as he stared into his son's amber with blue eyes. Tears were in Cullen's eyes and slowly sliding down his cheeks as Talila rested her head on his fur lined shoulders and lovingly placed her hand on the boy's tiny cheek as Cullen felt the child grip his finger in his tiny hand. "I think our little one has out done us both with his eye color." She laughed quietly as Cullen nodded.

"I think he will be the perfect unison between our personalities." Cullen was smiling like a total goof, but he didn't care. This was possibly the most perfect stolen moment in time, and a time he would never forget. "What are we going to name him?" Cullen asked as she thought it over.

"How about Adrian?" She opened her eyes and looked to Cullen who nodded. "But I know in my mother's family all sons and daughters share the middle name of either their father or mother." She informed him as he smiled at the thought.

"Adrian Stanton Rutherford," he still sounded as if he was in disbelief that he was holding his little one, but the name just rolled off his tongue and it seemed fitting. "Welcome to your new home Adrian. My son." Cullen smiled as Adrian yawned, falling asleep in his father's arms as Talila sighed lovingly. For the moment all time seemed to be at peace, at least for now.

*******

Around fifteen years was swift to pass and neither Cullen nor Talila seemed to be slowing down in their work, even as Adrian grew into a strapping young teenager who was proving that he was his father's son by being as stubborn as his father could be. Adrian had seen Templars come and go from Skyhold and turning to his father and mother he had peppered them with questions about the Order and now both watched as he left for training. They had told them of his father's experience with the Order, how Cullen had dealt with lyrium withdrawals, but that did not deter the boy and so however unwilling they were, they let him go. Talila watched as Adrian vanished with the other recruits to go for training and felt Cullen place his hands around her waist. "He truly is his father's son." She spoke as Cullen sighed.

"Don't remind me." He chuckled, "Let's just pray he doesn't run into the same issues I did when I was younger."

"I'm sure he will be fine. He is half of both of us," Talila smiled gently as Cullen pulled away and together both returned to their duties and would await the day their son sent them a letter telling them that he was a full Templar.