Chapter Five

Chapter Five

"Uncle Thorn!"

The high-pitched scream echoed off the walls of the foyer, and I resisted the urge to flinch at the ear-splitting sound as my baby sister, Holly, came streaking across the marble floor, her shoes clicking the whole way. She was a gorgeous little thing; thick dark hair that bounced in curls above her shoulders, her sparkling green eyes wide as saucers, shining with excitement. She launched herself at Thorn, who stood at my side and caught her with ease. He did a complete circle with her, making her shriek with giggles before he settled her onto his hip so she could hug and kiss him all over.

"My baby girl," Thorn laughed at her, giving her a kiss on the cheek, "How's it goin', sweetheart?"

"Desert," Holly shouted, pumping her fists up and down in front of herself, "I wanna see the desert! I wanna see scorpins and dragos and dead people and monsters! Roar!" Thorn laughed again, her enthusiasm delighting him. I shook my head before looking up as the rest of the family came in through the doors.

As usual, my dad, Blaine, led the way for the family. Significantly shorter than everyone in the room, but with an attitude powerful enough to take down the whole building, he had an air of ancient beauty to him. Slender and petite, pale Northern complexion, eyes the color of emeralds, and hair thick and dark, swept up into a ponytail that swung across his shoulders.

Behind him, towering like a menacing beast, was his husband, Cerberus. Black hair swept back from his sharp handsome face, his eyes like rubies glittering, his skin the warm olive of a natural born Greek, and decked out from head to toe like a walking Goth advertisement. Cradling in his arms, close to his chest, was their son, Keros. Unlike Holly, who was boisterous in every sense of the word from her personality to her brightly colored outfits, Keros was far more sedate. He was quieter, still sucked his thumb, even at the age of four. His dark hair was just a shade darker than Holly's, nearly black really, and a bit shorter on the side as opposed to the top that fell down over his forehead and in his face. His eyes were more blue than green, and always downcast, as if he were afraid to meet someone's eyes.

"My baby," Blaine greeted me with a huge smile. I stooped over to let him kiss me on the cheeks and give me a hug. I hugged him back before he stepped back, holding my hands so he could admire my belly. Blaine was not a very gentle and kind person often, but it was moments like this that I savored being his child. He adored me and he wasn't afraid to show it. And I noticed he briefly gazed at my stomach longingly, like he couldn't wait to be pregnant again, and was ecstatic that we were sharing this experience. When I'd told him I was pregnant, he'd straight up cried.

From Hades's cold dismissal, to Blaine wanting to throw a baby shower on the spot, I was getting whiplash between the two.

"How're you doing, dad?" I asked. Blaine offered me a smile as Thorn set Holly down so she could explore the gold gilded foyer. Cerberus started to let Keros down, but Keros only clung to his father's neck and seemed to try and bury himself in his father's shoulder. Blaine cleared his throat, clearly annoyed by this. Cerberus sighed.

"Come on, babe, he wants to stay here."

"He's not gonna grow up if you keep carrying him around like that. And take his thumb out of his mouth, will you? Give him the sucker," Blaine tacked on in a voice that said he was trying really hard not to just scoop Keros up himself and cradle him. Being the strict parent was hard for him. He'd babied the shit out of Ayo, and me. However, he knew that if he babied Keros too much, Keros could end up much like Kieran's kid, Jacques. A shut-in daddy's boy with no friends or real hobbies.

Cerberus stooped down again and placed Keros's feet on the floor, reaching into the pocket of his leather jacket to take out a sucker and handing it to his little boy. Keros looked devastated at having been put on the floor, but he took the sucker in silence and popped it in his mouth. Cerberus ruffled his hair and gave him a kiss on the head before urging him to go play with Holly, who was just running around the foyer, trying to figure everything out.