Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Pain.

So much incredible pain.

It felt like I was going to implode.

And all I could think about was Theo describing the whole ordeal as something ripping itself out of my stomach. I was fully prepared to see the baby ripping through me, even though logically I knew that wasn't the case. Still, I kept my eyes on my stomach, panting for breath as I laid out on the hospital bed, my hands gripping the railings on either side.

Meanwhile, Geara was washing up and Viviana was looking over some instruction manual that I hoped to fuck was not about this procedure and just about working the hospital bed up into a more comfortable position. Rowan was double checking all the entrances to the room, like he was keeping an eye out for the shifter. Tristan and Theo stood right by my side.

"Yo, can't I call my dad in right about now," Theo demanded, glaring over at Viviana, who had one left folded over the other, her posture all prim and proper, not at all concerned over the situation, "He's technically Ambrosius's doctor and he's actually done shit like this for faes and spent like nine months researching all of this shit so he can do it right and can you look at me cuz I'm freakin' the fuck out over here, lady!" Viviana blinked and looked up.

"Hm? Oh, no, it's fine. Should he pass, at least his child will survive." As soon as she said that, a horrible scream ripped up my throat as another pain coursed through me. Theo leapt away from the beside, moving slightly behind Tristan, clearly not wanting to be anywhere near me. It was briefly annoying, but understandable. I didn't have time to deal with it as another pain cut through me and I moaned, throwing my head back against the pillow.

"Don't let him die," Theo added angrily, glaring at Viviana, who flipped through another page in the manual, "You hear me, Viv? That kid survives this! Let me call my dad!"

"I can't do that," Viv answered in a sing-song voice, "The shifter could be watching and waiting and listening and when it finds out where he's at, it'll come barreling in with Hades and all will be lost."

"At least let his husband be here, for cryin' out loud!"

"Same reason, darling, sorry. If it makes you feel better, we can go out for ice cream afterwards."

"Ice cream?! What is this, a typical doctor's visit? My brother is about to give birth to a prophetic infant!"

"When you put it like that, it sounds rather silly."

"Our entire lives revolve around this kinda shit. I ever tell you about the time a guy possessed my body and had sex with my ex-boyfriend? Or how about the fact that two of my other brothers are shacking it up? Or how about the time that--"

"Your life is confusing me, sweetheart. Save it for your therapist. Also, another contraction is on the way right about... now." I screamed as another cramp roared through my gut and traveled up my spine. I jacked back on the bed, grabbing onto the railings again. This time, I squeezed so hard the metal broke and the railing clattered off the bed onto the floor. Tristan stepped back and Theo hissed.

"You know what? Scratch that request for Thorn to be here. I'd hate to see what his hands would look like after that."

"Stop talking," I shouted suddenly, slamming my fist down on the bed, panting before I locked my eyes on Theo, "Get dad! Get him now! Get me Thorn! Get Blaine! For the love of fucking gods, Theo! Do it now!" Theo looked over at Viv, who frowned and started to get up, but Theo vanished before she could stop him. She cursed and looked over at Geara, who quickly moved away from the medical cabinets to look at her in alarm.