I

The field was empty, just how I like it. Nothing to distract me. Just me and my thoughts.

Actually, thats pretty scary.

You see, my thoughts normally drift towards what I am. Dark. So, even though I myself am not terribly depressing or murderous or anything like that, my core is. My wolf is.

Calm yourself and your suggestions, Eve. I'm the same thing you are.

I know. You say that every time we're out alone and thinking.

Just be glad Xena hasn't come a calling.

Oh, shit, I thought as I jumped up from my spot on the grass, Its my birthday.

I started running, ignoring my wolf's urging me to just change and run as a wolf. Normally I would, but recently there's been something wrong with my fur whenever I change. Its always a shade darker than it was before.

Once upon a time I had a perfectly clean blonde coat, now its nearly fawn. I can't understand why but it has me nervous. Will it keep getting darker?

What happens when my coat gets completely black?

_

"Where were you," Ethan asked as I jogged up. He was standing next to Gemma, Luna Lacey and Alpha Mike's younger daughter. 

Most Alpha's can only have sons and Alpha Mike is only supposed to have male children but his wife, Luna Lacey, was cursed by a witch named Faye to only be able to have daughters. If I'm being honest, this is much better than what could have happened. Faye was supposed to take away Lacey's fertility all together. Gemma and her older sister Jacqueline are the products of a witch at her end trying to help a pack that once helped her.

"I was in the field."

"The field? You know you're not supposed to be there."

I let out a sigh. 

The field was once know as the meadow before the big battle. After that it was renamed and everyone was banned from entering. All the flowers died but that didn't stop the beauty. At least not from me. 

I tend to see the beauty in the darker side. Even in the dead. 

"It's been almost 19 years, Ethan. There's nothing there anymore."

"The aura of all that happened stays," Gemma argued," My father was right to ban anyone from going there. No wolf should be in a place like that."

I let out a longer sigh. Gemma always sides with her father's laws and rules. 

Another thing about Gemma is That she's more her grandmother Catherine's speed. She has Catherine's light brown-blonde-ish hair and brown eyes, short and petite. Graceful and beautiful.

Her sister Jackie is much different, however. She's taller than medium height but only by a few inches. Her hair is long and dark, near black in color which match her dark, dark eyes. She'll be the first Alpha Female. 

We honestly don't know what we'll call her mate. Should we just call him Luna? I don't know. I guess we'll just have to go with out a Luna for a while when she takes over.

Ethan's my twin, but he has brown hair instead of blond and we both have blue eyes. Our only common feature being the eyes. We even have our "built in mood rings" for eyes like mom calls it. By that I mean we took our father's hybrid trait where our eyes change color depending on our emotions. He's tall, when we went to high school at the human school he was on the football team. That's really the only reason anyone talked to me, because he was my brother.

Up until recently it was against pack laws for us to go to the human school. The Alphas before Mike wanted nothing more than for the wolves to be completely separate form the humans. Luna Lacey changed that for good.

"Can we just drop the topic," I asked before demonstrating what I meant by turning to face Ethan," Where's Ida?"

Ida is Ethan's mate. Tall, blonde, beautiful. He met her at a football game. She was a cheerleader for  the other team which just so happens to be from a part of the Jade Forest pack south of us. She hasn't moved up to live with us because they wanted to wait but she promised to be at his birthday.

Promise or not, hardly a day goes by with out them either talking on the phone or seeing each other in person. Not that I can really blame them. The draw between mates it undeniable. He's always going on about her bright hair and her green eyes and her bright smile. 

I used to think it was cute, but now it makes me have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that I can't name. I just know its not a positive one.

Our mom made our birthdays out to be a huge deal, so big that she invited the other 2 oracles to our house to celebrate. During the great battle the oracles Kayla and Ulijana died, resulting in new ones being born months before us. 

The new oracles are names Kirsten and Rani. Rani lives in Ledakh and Kirsten in England. After our birth our mother had to go on a journey to find her new oracle sisters and get to know them, a job she now leaves to Ethan and I because of our closeness in age. She's not fooling anyone though, she's done this every year since we were 10.

She wants the oracles here in case they've received any new visions about our future.

I can't blame her, I want them too. I need to know if what Wyatt- the evil warlock who killed thousands of child wolves around the world along with Faye, Kayla and Ulijana- said about us is true. Is one of us really going to bring about the end of the world? Was that just a ploy to buy my father's trust?

I was so deep in thought that I didn't notice Ethan replying to my question until someone put their hand on my shoulder. I jumped in surprise but was happy to turn to see it was my father who had touched me not some intruder or, worse, Max. My evil little cousin.

"Happy birthday, honey," he said to me with half a smile. I know he's taking this hard, his baby girl getting older.

"Thank you, daddy," Ethan told him dramatically, throwing his arms around my dad's shoulders and kissing/slobbering his cheek.

"Knock it off."

Ethan laughed and dodged dad when he made a grab for him. He wasn't fast enough when our hybrid father used his vampire speed to put him in a head lock. Dad was mid-noogy when mom came around and told him to back off.

"He's a kid, he'll piss you off all the time," she said when dad tried to make excuses," You're supposed to be able to handle it better, Tyler."

"Yes, dear," he replied in a mocking tone. She just rolled her eyes and walked off, leaving our father to jog after her.

"They're insane," I laughed at my own comment. They're not insane. They're mates.