21. Sexual Healing

Kayla and Jack held hands as they walked along the harbor. It was warm out and there was a cool breeze, perfect weather for a late night walk.

"I still can't believe you didn't tell me about your research, or that you were nominated for a freaking Lasker!" Kayla smiled, looking up at him.

"I can't believe your birthday is next Friday and you weren't going to tell me."

"Oh," Kayla said, her smile disappearing immediately. "How did you find out?" she frowned.

"Nisa told me," Jack said. "And now that I know, you better believe we're going to celebrate it."

Kayla groaned, "See this is exactly I don't like to tell people about birthdays."

"You'll live," Jack laughed, squeezing her hand.

"Maybe we could just pretend you never found about it."

"Not gonna happen, sweetheart."

Kayla's stomach growled. Jack chuckled and looked down at her, "You hungry?"

She nodded.

"There's a pizza place down the block," he pointed.

"Pizza? Dressed like this?" Kayla said, raising her eyebrows at him.

"Why not?" he smiled, leading the way.

---

After the two had their fill of pizza - which they had been obscenely overdressed for - Jack drove Kayla back to her apartment, one hand on the wheel and the other resting gently on her silk-clad thigh. Kayla looked up at him as he watched the road, wondering if he was aware of how much the feel of his hand on her was driving her crazy. How were they supposed to 'take things slow' when his every touch sent her hormones into overdrive? Jack looked over at her and smiled when noticed her staring.

"I'll walk you up," Jack said, pulling into the parking lot behind her apartment building. The two headed up to her apartment, waving at the security guard as they passed through the lobby. Jack waited behind her as she unlocked the front door and then the two stepped into the dark living room. Kayla flicked on the lights. It was quiet in the apartment - she took that to mean that Nisa was either asleep or not home.

"Thank you for inviting me tonight," Kayla said turning to him. She reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"No, thank you. You were the highlight of my night," Jack said, gripping her waist tightly.

"Oh really? It wasn't, I don't know, winning one of the most prestigious awards in medicine?"

"No," he smiled, "Nothing could top you in this dress." He pulled her in and pressed a kiss against her lips.

"What about me out of it?" Kayla whispered.

"Mmmm, except for that."

Kayla rested her head on his shoulder and they swayed back and forth for awhile, making their own rhythm in the silence. In that moment Kayla decided that she didn't want to wait anymore. She was ready and she wanted him... now. "Stay the night," she said, lifting her head to look up at him.