Chapter 3

Almost ten years had passed since Lily's death and a now eleven year old Harry Potter had grown up in a loving home, albeit one without a maternal figure. His Uncle Sirius was carefree and fun-loving, his Uncle Remus was firm but fair and flexible and his dad, James was a balance between both. Various pictures of him and the Marauders from over the years hung around the walls of Potter Manor.

A tall, healthy and well-cared for Harry came down excitedly on the morning of his eleventh Birthday and entered the Potter Manor living room to be greeted by three cheerful Marauders. There was an assortment of presents in the living room from the Marauders and close family friends.

"Happy Birthday son!" James exclaimed as he embraced Harry.

"Thanks dad," said Harry, hugging his father back.

Sirius and Remus took turns hugging and wishing the birthday boy after father and son had pulled away. Harry looked at his pile of presents and one package in particular caught his eyes. He knew what was in the package. He had begged his dad for a Nimbus Two Thousand when he saw it on display at Diagon Alley. So far, he only owned a Comet Two Fifty. He opened the package from James with glee and stared slack jawed at his new broom, his eyes shining with awe as he stroked it. He remembered his manners when he noticed the amused Marauders admiring his antics.

"Thank you so much dad," said Harry as he gratefully hugged his father.

"I'm glad you like it," James grinned.

"May I please take it to Hogwarts with me?" Harry asked hopefully.

"Sorry son, but first years aren't allowed to bring brooms," said James.

"I can sneak it in," said Harry cheekily.

"Harry, breaking minor rules is one thing, but breaking a major rule stated in your acceptance letter would be pushing it a little too far," said James. "At least that's what your grandfather told me when I wanted to sneak my broom into Hogwarts during my first year," he added as an afterthought.

James himself had often pushed it too far when he broke the rules during his school days, but he didn't want Harry repeating his mistakes. He had vowed to raise his son to be a better person than himself.

"I guess I can wait for my second year," said Harry thoughtfully.

"Come on Prongslet, you've got other gifts to unwrap," said Sirius.

Harry saw a cage with a snowy owl.

"Hagrid sent this," said Remus.

Harry had never met Rubeus Hagrid, but he had heard a lot about the kind and lovable half-giant who was the groundskeeper of Hogwarts from the Marauders. He read the note from Hagrid which said that he couldn't wait to meet him at Hogwarts. Harry dug into the rest of his presents, including the ones from Sirius and Remus and gratefully thanked his uncles. James reminded him that he would have to send out thank you notes to those who had sent him gifts.

_____________________________

In was a warm, sunny day as Harry and Marauders walked around Diagon Alley. They were there to spend Harry's birthday and get his school supplies. The Birthday boy was the most excited about getting his first wand and spell books. He was recognized and greeted by witches and wizards that he had never met. He had only been to Diagon Alley four times before as his dad usually preferred shopping at muggle stores, mostly to avoid the unwanted attention the Boy Who Lived received when they shopped in the wizarding world.

They parted ways as Sirius went off to meet his fiancée, Miranda who urgently needed his assistance to sort out a problem with their wedding planner. The couple was set to get married during the Christmas holidays. Remus who was a successful author of fiction books that were quite popular in the wizarding world had to quickly meet his publisher for something. He also occasionally wrote non-fiction books. In the meantime, James and Harry headed to Gringotts.