Chapter 25- Huskies and Stunts

The Summit's coverage is becoming more grueling as Day 3 hits and as the Summit comes to a close tomorrow.

Today's topics include political security and the sharing and spreading of prosperity for all the countries in the region. There are also a few leadership forums and media briefings to attend to.

Since tomorrow's events will last until very late at night, our little media group decided to have one final outing together before we fly back home.

Tonight, we will all have a mini adventure in the Night Safari.

~~~~~

I barely have any memories of the Night Safari, the world's first nocturnal wildlife park.

All I remember was the Tram Ride, where it was my first time to see a tapir. I also remember seeing an animal show but I could not remember anything specific about it. I do remember that we had to be reasonably quiet and that flash photography was prohibited inside the park.

At the moment, our little group is on the Tram Ride that is taking us through the safari, which is divided into six areas that represent the Earth's geographic zones. As the ride is happening, our eerily soft-spoken tram guide is giving us all sorts of info while we enjoy gazing at the animals in their naturalistic habitats.

RJ and I started to hold hands at the tram, but being with the rest of our media friends, we decided to let go and keep it under wraps for now. We talked about this earlier today, during lunch when this trip was suggested in-between bites.

~~~~~

The Night Safari is home to thousands of animals belonging to about 130 species. Of these 130, about 38% are under threat from extinction, which is why this nature park supports conservation and has even bred several species.

The animals are made visible in artificial light that resembles a brighter version of the moonlight, but is still dim enough to respect the animals' nocturnal nature.

Instead of traditional enclosures, the animals here are actually separated from visitors using natural barriers and naturalistic enclosures.

Apart from the tram ride, there are various Walking Trails too, so our group broke apart to do explorations as we please. Of course, RJ and I are sticking together. Parang glue.

~~~~~

The Walking Trails offer views of animals that otherwise could not be seen from the tram ride. There are four trails that each can be explored in 30 minutes: the East Lodge, Fishing Cat, Leopard, and Wallaby Trail.

"Anung trail gusto mo unahin?" asked RJ.

"How about the Leopard Trail?"

He looked impressed that I chose what looks like the most daring trail of all.

"You're so adventurous, that's what I like about you. I can imagine us having many more adventures together," he commented. I'm grateful that it was dark because for some reason, I can feel myself blushing like crazy.

~~~~~

Being surrounded by all these wild animals, the walk was nerve-wracking at first. But once I reminded myself of the barriers that enclosed the animals, it started to be more fun.

"I've liked animals for as long as I can remember," I shared with RJ.

"But you have no pets right now," he answered, a little weirded out.

"Nakaka-traumatize kasi yung aso ko nung college, yung namatay nung puppy pa lang? Namatay ata sa sama ng loob e. Feeling niya, inabandon ko siya," I lamented as I recalled leaving it at home in favor of renting an apartment near the campus. It was no one's fault, really.

"Di bale, if I find a mate for Globie, I'll opt for puppy sharing. Then, you can have the pick of the litter."

Globie is RJ's four-year-old Siberian Husky. Coincidentally, this kind of dog is my favorite breed and this is the kind of dog I had in the past. But they are no novice owner's dogs. You need to be an experienced dog owner to take care of such breed. I voiced my apprehension to RJ.

"Nakakatakot e. Paano kung mamatay ulit?"

"I'll be here to guide you. I'll help you take care of it," he assured me.

~~~~~

RJ and I still managed to chitchat on the way back to Orchard Road, where our hotels are.

"Your flight back to Manila is in the morning right?"

"More like early afternoon. It's at 2 pm, so Sam and I have to be at the airport by 11 am." I added, "Or 12 noon if we can do the web check-in."

"Sayang, our flight is at 9 p.m. pa, so Jerald and I can still squeeze a visit to Universal Studios. I wish you could come," he said with a hopeful look.

I feel that he just couldn't voice it out, but he wants to ask if I can reschedule my flight to late evening. What I appreciate though, is that he doesn't make unpractical requests.

"Tama nga lang yung arrival ko e, since my family and I usually have Sunday dinners. The last time we did was almost two months ago. Nagkasakit kasi yung nephew ko, si Matti. Then Kuya Nico is busy juggling the family business and his MBA."

"Sana ma-meet ko sila soon," RJ said.

"Maybe you can join in our next Sunday dinner."

I'm thinking though... After that glorious surprise of taking me to the Gardens by the Bay two nights ago, I think it's time that I pull out something from my sleeve.

Rebooking a flight can be a nightmare but maybe... I can come up with my own stunt so come Sunday morning, it'll be RJ's turn to get surprised.

Photo credits: tram from gohappytourism.blogspot.com

                              leopard from bruneiyellowpages.net