Chapter 38- All Out Honesty

"Hi, Mom! May I have Tita Ivy's contact number? Her cat Puddles is in 35 Narra St. We saw her climb the fence of that house. Kayo na lang po? Sige po. Thank you, mom!"

I ended the call to my mother. I walked up to a panting Globie, who is now laying down on the ground and tied up to a tree on our village playground. He was looking up at me with such kind eyes. I bent to stroke his back. "You frightened us, you little rascal," I teased. "But don't worry, I still like you Globie." My hand was now rubbing the spot under his chin while the other was rubbing him behind the ear. In turn, he licked my arm and rolled on his back to expose his belly and hoist his legs up.

Awww! I was now scratching his chest. "You can't help it, can you?" I owned a husky only for a very short time, but I do know they have high amounts of energy and endurance, having been bred thousands of years ago to pull sleds.

I walked to the swing set, where RJ was seated. He was watching my interaction with Globie with fondness.

"It looks like you two are getting along just fine. Welcome to the wonderful world of Husky companionship! I'm sorry about that incident by the way," RJ said.

I slumped on the swing seat next to his.

"It's okay. That wasn't your fault. Perhaps he missed you too much that he wanted you to work out." I said with a smirk. "Mom says she tell the owner. She also says that the food's in the house. She had McDo delivered."

"Cool!" RJ commented appreciatively.

"Does Globie always do that? Chase after cats?

"Just sometimes... huskies were bred to go out into the wilderness, so I guess the natural surroundings were too much for him tonight. Huskies are escape artists... parang si Angel lang."

"Hey!" I chided him.

"Bad joke, sorry," he acknowledged.

"How is your sister?"

"She was a bit sad when I left but she now has new friends and hobbies to keep her mind off homesickness. She has warmed up greatly to the place. I think it's safe to assume that all's well that ends well."

"That's comforting to hear. Oh, here's your phone. Thank you for lending it to me," I said as I handed him back his mobile device.

"Thank you lang? Walang kiss?"

I leaned to give him a quick peck but he rested his palm on my nape and kissed me passionately.

I kissed him back with all the longing I felt. RJ, I miss you so bad. I have never felt this way towards anyone else... just you... only you.

Several seconds after, nagging thoughts kept me from pouring all my emotions into our kiss. Thoughts about that morning we last saw each came back to me and in the back of my mind, I knew I still owe him an apology.

So I did what I had to do. I placed my palms on his chest and pushed him gently.

"RJ..." I said, pushing him with more force now.

"RJ, we have to talk," I pulled away when he didn't budge.

"We do, we do," he said with reluctance.

"You don't have to resign, RJ." I said hurriedly.

He shook his head. "I've said this in the first letter I wrote for you, Maine. I want to support you fully in your dreams and the best way to do it is to be on the sidelines."

"But there's room for us both in this industry. See, we both won tonight. And if I didn't win at all, it wouldn't be a problem with me. I admit that in the beginning, it was... difficult.

I shifted in my position to sit straight and sway myself gently on the swing. "I was pissed at first. Everything was going well and all of a sudden, there you were, wreaking havoc in my career strategies!"

RJ snickered nervously. "It was nothing personal, Maine. I was new; I had to excel in the job. I had my own boss to impress. I didn't even realize I was competing against you until after my fourth month. I saw you in the Senate building and only there was I able to connect that you were the girl I competed against in the Interschool Debating Cup. It was unfortunate that we had to meet each other that way again, but you know, we are able to move past it, as evident now."

"Exactly, so don't resign anymore RJ."

"We are able to move past it but you never know when conflicts will arise. Let's not put ourselves in that position, Maine. And besides, I've come up with an agreement with my boss from The Post."

"And?" I asked nervously.

"In our conference call, they offered me a correspondent position, specializing in Science and Environment. It's perfect for me, Maine! It's perfect for us! I can concentrate on law school and still get to write. If there's one thing good that came out from my trip to New Zealand it's that I realized what I wanted to specialize in, and it's Environmental Law. So this deal with The Post is a win-win situation. I won't be a regular employee anymore and we won't be on the same beat, so there's little chance for us to compete on the same story."

I nodded. "We will still be in rival newspapers, but yes, we can relax our unspoken rule a little bit... a lot actually. Are you sure about this arrangement with The Post?"

RJ grabbed my chin and looked at me straight in the eyes. "Yes," he said, still looking at me intently. "My new correspondent status starts on Monday, along with my classes."

Now is a good time to apologize, Maine, I goaded myself. "I'm sorry I accused you about Amy. What's the deal with her, anyway?"

RJ straightened up in his seat, obviously a little uncomfortable about the mention of Amy. She was a sore spot in our relationship. "My parents have been planning that move to New Zealand for about a year, so they put up our house in Sta. Rosa for sale. Amy's uncle was the potential buyer, so I coordinated with her frequently. That morning when you found her in my room, she gave me the last documents needed to complete the sale. My parents decided to keep the townhouse where I'm in and sell the property in Laguna. They wanted to get a hold of the proceeds and divide it among us siblings already. Angel's share has been deposited in a trust fund."

"Oh," was all I could say.

"Maine, don't ever think for one moment that I'd cheat on you. Never."

"I believe you. Do you know that morning I found her in your room, I was supposed to go with you to Universal Studios? I rebooked my flight but ended up taking my original schedule."

He turned to look at me. "Really?!"

I nodded. "But please RJ, take care of your reputation. There might be more Amys that will come your way who can misread your kind actions."

He snorted. "I've never been one to pay attention to gossip."

"You'll especially need a more clear-cut reputation once you start your law practice. I want people to know you deserve the good things that come your way because of sheer brilliance and diligence."

"Point taken, loud and clear. And thank you, for believing in me that much." Then he wrapped me in his arms. "Maine," he whispered when he loosened his hold to look me in the eyes. "Can we now be together formally? Can we be boyfriend and girlfriend officially?"

I giggled. "Yes," I answered before tightening my grip on his arms.

"Yes," I repeated. Then, the last sentence in his first letter came to my mind.

"Do you remember the last line of the first letter you wrote me?"

"Of course. I remember writing it like it was just yesterday.'

"Good, because I want to answer it."

"What is it?" I saw him breathe in sharply as he waited for my response.

"I just want to say that I love you too."

He grinned widely as we sealed this declaration with a long and lingering kiss.