Epilogue

EPILOGUE

Abrupt.

That's how everything comes together.

Unexpectedly and either dangerously slow or dangerously fast.

But I've come to terms with experiencing this sensation.

Feeling your stomach skitter with nerves when the person you love is about to enter the room, feeling my heart pound so boldly in my chest. Or hearing news that can completely rip you to tiny shreds, shreds that wither away with nothing to remind the world they once lived full lives.

You never really know how everything is going to pan out.

You plan one thing and get another.

I press the phone closer to my ear hoping I'm not hearing anything untoward my heart beats a mile a minute.

"Danielle.... you heard me." the response hits me with aggression.

I gulp licking my parched lips aware of the fact that I have been sitting in bed waiting for this call since six pm.

It's now eight pm.

"Your right I did." I respond flatly "What happened?" I question.

I hear Nolan shuffle on the other end as if he, like me, can't sit still "He touched my girl...he shouldn't have touched River." Nolan responds, his voice is nothing like I remember it.

Two years ago, his voice would never rise a certain pitch, and now, now Nolan's voice drips in the clear disgusting tone of revenge.

"This isn't like you Pudding." I respond slowly, years of tentative friendship has bought us to this point where we can confide in each other with nothing else holding us back.

I will always love Nolan, he was my first love. The bond we share is like no other but we know where we stand.

"Come over - this conversation isn't going to be had over the phone." I utter, already climbing out of bed.

My toes curl into the fluffy carpet as the biting cold launces my skin like tiny little snowballs. I click my teeth reaching for my hoodie.

I drop my mobile onto Isahiah's beloved memory foam pillow, walking to the kitchen. I tentatively walk towards the fridge carefully removing the pudding cups I keep safely tucked behind the milk.

Isa's chubby hands will find anything in his hunger rages as I like to call them. Five minutes later a knock on the door sounds. I lift the blind guarding the kitchen window and peek, the view of Nolan standing outside in a thick blue coat greets me.

I nod and nervously open the door.

When I let Nolan in I'm not ready for the news that will change my life.

Once all the news has hit me like a cold bucket of ice, I sit there dragged into silence by the painful news.

River was hurt.

The one who hurt her is back in the country.

I don't know how many minutes the shock freezes me, but when my eyes begin to ache the door is opened.

"Honey, daddy's home" Isa sings, our familiar joke making me cringe in embarrassment. One time. One fucking time a teenage called him dad as what I think was an embarrassment tactic regardless of her motive since then my husband thinks being called daddy is cool.

No, he doesn't know it's a sexual reference too.

"We have guests" I manage to spit out, my mouth like chalk.

Isahiah walks in a grin on his beautiful face which fades when he sees Nolan, "What's up?" he asks, his eyes narrowing slightly a look of pensiveness pouring into his features.

I gulp...and say nothing.

Nolan repeats what he told me and the look in Isa's eyes has me freezing up my chair, despite his indefinite dislike for Nolan we have both become attached to River. The long weekends she spent at our house have created a bond amongst us three that will never be changed.

Isahiah's eyes fill with a determined look as his gaze clashes with Nolan's, his gait is suddenly straight as pole "If he's in the country, he's mine" his voice sounds guttural low, as if it's hurting his every bone to speak.

He's dead.

AN:

This story is kind of continues in Chasing the bad girl.

Check out my new book THE DEADLY MATE which is also about a bad girl! Thank you.

This book seriously let me escape into another world when I needed an escape, as silly as that sounds. I owe this book allot I started this when I was 17/18 and I'm now 20. So much has changed since I started writing it. 

I know I didn't upload it as regularly as I should have towards the end, and for that, I am so so sorry but....life, lol.

Thank you for reading.