Adeptsby

Like his fellow passengers, Able rested most of the trip. He wrapped his newly released arms about themselves to ward off the chill and let his head bob along to the rumble of the road until it abruptly ended. He inhaled and blinked his way back to consciousness to discover they were still moving, only they had turned onto a wider and more level road. He roused himself the rest of the way and leaned over the side to get his first glimpse of Adeptsby.

Because the trees were gone, Able could see the gatehouse for the last mile it took for the ponies to gamely trot up to it. If the ruin of Kettlebrook forests could be described as a mouth without teeth, this was a mouth without a jaw. Acres of jagged stumps sat like cemetery monuments to their severed tops that had been pressed into service as the wall around the complex. The gatekeepers waved the Sheriff's party through into the bailey. An elegant timber manor house and half of a tower rose above about a foot or two of stone inner wall. Several other buildings populated the bailey ranging from fully completed to mere dug foundations. The horses settled for being tied in lines and the indentured servants settled for rows on rows of tents on the far side of the grounds. Able climbed out of the wagon and wandered away from the busy lawmen in hopes of getting a better view, but Reeve took his arm and called another enforcer over.

"Take this one to my office and see that he's given food," was all he said before he continued on handing orders to others.

"This way," gestured the man with an unpracticed smile. Able nodded and followed after him over a plank bridge that ran between two ditches that had aspirations of being another gatehouse. They were headed into the mansion, which was not so complete as it had looked at first, when a voice called out,

"Houser! Wait!"

Able stalled and looked back to see a tall man jogging his way-he hadn't recognized Tanner out of uniform and tensed when he realized this. But Tanner finished his approach with his hands raised.

"I just heard they found you unharmed-you are unharmed, right?"

Able nodded once.

"Good," Tanner echoed his nod. "Look...Lefthill told me what you did for him. That was good of you, and I am sorry you were kidnapped on account of it. I should never have let that happen." He extended his hand. This was surreal, but it seemed safer and smarter to shake it, so Able did.

"He's all right, then? Reeve mentioned there were some losses."

Tanner drew a long inhale and balled his now empty hand into a fist, "I lost three good men that day. You probably think I deserved it."

"I'm not happy to hear it," Able replied, though he would not have said the same for Tanner's apparent suspension from duty.

"No," Tanner nodded. "Well, welcome to Adeptsby. At the very least you'll be safe here." He gave one last nod then turned to go.

Able followed his guide inside, where it almost felt like stepping through a portal into Larbantry. It was warm despite the grand arches and tile floors, and the walls were painted bright blue with stark white moulding in repeating patterns and several alcoves were replete with the designs of the sacred tenants. But it was only an illusion reserved for the entrance hall, as further in all gave way to the timber framing and flooring that Able had grown accustomed to in Fairbanks. He was led to a staircase and along several halls until shown a room that had far more luxurious furnishings than the fort office he had first met Reeve in. The enforcer excused himself to the second of the tasks the Sheriff had given him.

Able stared into the active fireplace a moment, then sat at the bench facing the window. He was startled at how far he sank-he had nearly forgotten what a cushion felt like. The window faced further up the hill, he noticed, where trees were still being cleared and a stone foundation being laid. This manor was not ultimately to be the keep, it seemed. Once his supper was brought, he ate it and watched the stars come out. He was feeling quite alert when Reeve finally trudged through the door.

"I owe you an apology," Reeve started working his way out of his aketon.

"I believe Tanner tried to make it for you," Able stood to face him.

"Did he? Good. He was in the right to keep you from the town square, but should have released you after."

Able only nodded, though he wondered if something had changed that they were worried about legal fallout from one scholar on a fool's errand going missing. Or maybe they were only worried now that he had ceased to be missing.

"Tanner is a good soldier," Reeve mused as he hung up his aketon and belt and availed himself of the sideboard, "but I fear not suited to peacekeeping. When he heard I was selected for this post he was for no terms going to let me leave by myself. I may pay more than once for the comfort of having him here."

He gestured for Able to sit and then handed him a glass of grappa. He knocked his own back in one gulp, then set it on the desk and fetched a letter from his desk drawer.

"What I need to apologize for is I heard from your Director some weeks ago but did not send for you," he sat and unfolded it. So that is what had changed or at least helped.

"Does this mean I may access your records now?"

Reeve chuckled, "He says that he is surprised but perhaps shouldn't be that you finally got up off your ass and begs me to be lenient with your lack of experience. And that while I may find your doggedness a hindrance, the University has always found it an asset." It was helpful of Method to speak for the whole University this way and give Able a little more protection.

"Did he ask you to lecture me as well?" Able sipped his grappa. Reeve shook his head with a tiny smile and refolded Method's letter.

"You have a steel face, I'll give you that. Heh, and records access as well."

"Thank you. I hate to ask for another thing, but I find myself without supplies or coin."

"I can see that. We can certainly spare some paper and ink for your use and some accommodations as well. Consider yourself a guest at Adeptsby."